• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Beaufort NC Area prospective owner here for info

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
bpevans
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Beaufort NC Area prospective owner here for info

Post by bpevans »

I finally moved full-time to Beaufort NC last year, I'm considering buying a second boat in addition to my Jones Brother Bateau 20. Joined here to hear opinions on the Albin 28 TE as a choice for the area and whether dry stack or wet slipping it would be suggested.

Looking at a mid-2000's Albin 28 TE/Flushdeck with the Yanmar for ideas of fishing and diving within about 25 miles of Beaufort Inlet and closer on the days that just aren't comfortable in my skiff. The layout and size of the Albin 28 looks like the right balance of being able to run it frequently for day trips but still have enough space to spend a weekend on it inside the hook or run it down to Wilmington.

As for wet-slipping it, any guidance on what I should expect cost-wise on bottom paint? Hauling it? And what should putting it on the hard for a hurricane cost in our area?

Is dry-stacking it a better option? The cost difference so far is minimal, at a local marina it's $2900/wet and $3500/dry for a year.

I'd love to hear some thoughts and advice from other NC owners if they're on here too.

Thanks.
Barry
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Beaufort NC Area prospective owner here for info

Post by marko »

Hi Barry:
I had a 30ft Pursuit for years down here in Wilmington and was at first on a hurricane haul out list. This cost $500 to get on and then the haul out, blocking and land storage were added to it. Was not happy, so I bought a trailer for it and made arrangements with a storage facility miles inland, to store the trailer and to meet me at the ramp and pick me up when a storm was approaching. (FYI: too much weight for my SUV to haul and the oversized load issues in NC) Also did service and winter storage this way. Now my Albin 36 ET is up in New Bern, away from the coast somewhat, in a slip, but two hours from me. I would have to do storm prep and plan to go up the Trent river to hide out with everyone else. Haven't had to...yet. Enjoy the hunt.
Mark
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I had a Shamrock before Albins and kept it in dry storage in Virginia. I liked the service and lack of worry about hurricanes. I tried to get my Albin in dry storage but the marinas always said they could not accommodate the keel. If you can get them to dry stack it for you I would recommend it. You will easily save the difference in bottom cleaning and painting. You give up some spontaneity in that you have to call to have the boat put in the water and if you decide on an evening cruise after closing time it is too late. It is a trade-off I am willing to make to avoid cleaning the bottom which grows everything in the warm Southern waters. You can try it and always change to a wet slip if you are unhappy. Much depends upon the service provided by the fork-lift operators. Most are accommodating and very careful. Just make sure your trim tabs are up.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
bpevans
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Post by bpevans »

I bought a slip with a 16k lb recently which solved the chicken vs egg problem of where to keep an Albin 28TE. I keep watching for a late model used one now that's the right fit for me.

Did Albin go out of production for a time? I see a lot of older 2000 to 2004 but don't think I've seen any 2010-2014 models on the secondary market?

Return to “New Member Introductions”