• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Clearance needed to remove driveshaft on 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Clearance needed to remove driveshaft on 28TE

Post by gerber30 »

I need to remove the drive shaft on my 1997 28TE. I understand the drive shaft is about 8 feet long, does anyone have pictures of how high they had to block the boat up to remove the drive shaft?
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Clearance needed to remove driveshaft on 28TE

Post by RobS »

Are you on pavement, or something you can dig, like gravel or dirt? If you remove the stern bearing housing then with normal blocking only a small trench is needed, small enough that just using the heal of your boot will do it. Without the housing in place you can lift the shaft quite a bit due to the large hole in the back of the skeg. See the red circle of disturbed gravel in my photo. That's all. If you're on pavement then blocking her with a 8" or so block under the skeg should be all you need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerber30 »

Rob, thanks for the photos. I will be on gravel similiar to that in your picture. I probably will remove the stern bearing and replace the cutlass bearing. Does the shaft clear the rudder? The reason for the removal is wobble in the shaft (enought to cause the stuffing box to loosen)at about 3000 to 3100 rpm. smoothes out at about 3250. I have had the boat for almost 6 years with no serious issue. This will be the first. I do most of the preventive maintenance, but know when to write the check (valve adjustment, timing belt). I just cannot figure out why the all of a sudden this started. I am going to have a local drive train expert look it over before I go to the expense of having the boat pulled. I figure it would be worth an hour or two of labor.

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

From what you are describing I don't think I would pull the shaft.
Sounds like you have a very bad cutlass bearing which can be done fairly routinely.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I agree in that your issue is likely a cutlass bearing worn well beyond it's service life. BUT, you state you have had the boat 6 years so while the bearing housing is off is the sensible time to do shaft seal maintenance and coupler/alignment maintenance. Your call depending on your level of desired PM. The arrows in the gravel point to the rudder shoe bolts. Take out those 4 bolts and the rudder swings enough to the side for the shaft to slide out. See it in my photo above tied off to the stand. There is a cutlass bearing in the rudder shoe too - again depending on your level of PM... :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerber30 »

Thanks Rob, I can see that now.

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

interesting thread. my 2002 28te has developed vibration and loud "rattling" noise while on plane. i suspect the shaft cutlass bearing.

my question is can the bearing housing slide off without removing the shaft? once i have the housing off what is the next step?

machine shop? who can press out and replace bearing? is it actually a bushing? where are they available?

as you can tell this is a first for me. thanks for the pictures they make this less scary!

thanks, mick

Return to “Albin Maintenance”