• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New all your help!

aussieguy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Moss Landing

New all your help!

Post by aussieguy »

We are very close to purchasing a 28 flush deck 2005. We love the boat but is pretty slow. We get 18 knots WOT. It has the 315 Yanmar in it. Is this normal? It only has 230 hours on it. Do you think there is a problem with the engine? Do these boats normally come with an inverter, hot water heater? This boat does come with a custom trailer. Help me out guys!
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Re: New all your help!

Post by rcwhite »

Seems a bit slow but not a lot to go on. Our 28 would top out around 24 with normal loading and a clean
bottom averaged with and against the tides.

You didn't mention what the engine RPMs were at top speed but the tac should be around 4000
at WOT.

There are many things that can contribute to a low top end and if you are looking to purchase
it may be a good idea to have it checked out.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Our 2001, 28TE tops out at about 24MPH ( not knots) with four aboard and clean bottom with a 300HP Yanmar, 6LP-STE.
I believe all 28s were built with water heaters; an inverter would be an unusual option.
aussieguy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by aussieguy »

The rpm was 3800.............18 knots=20.8 much slower then you guys. I think we need to check it out a bit more.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Start with bottom cleaning
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcwhite »

RobS wrote:Start with bottom cleaning
And make sure the swim ladder is secure.
That can cost 5 knots if down:) After leaving it down once and wondering what was dragging I could tell as soon as I started to bring up the throttle.
aussieguy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by aussieguy »

rcwhite wrote:
That can cost 5 knots if down:) After leaving it down once and wondering what was dragging I could tell as soon as I started to bring up the throttle.

The boat has only been in the water 6 weeks so the bottom can't be dirty. The boat is on a trailer. I am not sure there is a swim step on the boat but thanks for the heads up and will check that one out!
FiveToes
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Niantic, CT

Post by FiveToes »

I have only owned my Albin since last fall and I'm still learning handling and capability. WOT for me is around 22 knots max. I would say legit cruising speed is 16-18 knots depending on tide direction and overall sea conditions. But could be slower if going against a strong current. I rarely cruise at 18. 16 or 17 more practical. Sea conditions really influence. Get a good diesel mechanic to do engine survey. Good Luck! -Greg
Greg T.

Five Toes II
2009 Albin 28 TE
Flush Deck
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcwhite »

aussieguy wrote:
rcwhite wrote:
The boat has only been in the water 6 weeks so the bottom can't be dirty. The boat is on a trailer. I am not sure there is a swim step on the boat but thanks for the heads up and will check that one out!

To Rob's point, 6 weeks in the water can be plenty of time for the bottom to get dirty if there
isn't any paint or if it is in poor condition.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Can you confirm that it is running a 19" x 19" with a 5 cup Propeller and what gearbox is fitted?

Excessive wear on the propeller, especially one that may have been repaired at some point will make a significant difference to your performance.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

24+ Knots
3900 rpm
2003 Yanmar 6LP, ENGINE BOX
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”