• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Electric Toilet to replace Jabsco Manual

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Electric Toilet to replace Jabsco Manual

Post by mjohnh »

I am exploring the possibility of replacing a Jabsco manual toilet with either a Jabsco electric conversion; or, a complete new electric toilet; or, any other suggestion that makes sense.
I have read reviews of others on the Jabsco electric conversion and there are favorable and unfavorable comments.
There are other manufacturers who make electric toilets, too.

Has anyone used a conversion kit or replaced the Jabsco manual with a complete new electric toilet? I would appreciate any comments you can make on this subject.

I have a 2005 Albin 28TE.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Electric Toilet to replace Jabsco Manual

Post by jms02050 »

Hi. Another option... Although I stayed with a manual, I chose a Raritan Fresh Head. It uses pressurized fresh water. Just tee into your fresh water line and you're good to go. It's a direct bolt in replacement for the Jabsco Manual. No more odor from using seawater. It uses a large diaphragm pump and a lever that makes pumping really easy. I chose this over an electric head due to ease of installation, the fact that it uses fresh water, and it uses very little water per flush. In fact you can dry flush without damage, so you can really extend pump out times - a bonus with the 28's small holding tank.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I replaced one of the heads with Raritan Sea Era and went freshwater. As stated it was a direct replacement.
I had a converted Jabsco manual as the other head. I converted it to freshwater. Very easy to do and if you remove the water impeller it is almost a silent flush (actually quieter than the Raritan). I just had it out again last weekend to replace the seal on the bottom of the bowl. Other than that it has been trouble free for 7 years now.
If you need details or have questions on the conversion process send me a private e mail.
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Jim: Was the Raritan that you used the "manual" or the "manual compact"? Leonard: Does the "Sea Era" come in different sizes and, if so, which size did you use to replace the Jabsco manual. I like the idea of the fresh water connection. I have ordered a complete new pump assembly for the Jabsco as it was not much more expensive than the rebuilt kit. If this works, I will use it until there is another problem and then likely order a Raritan manual or electric and will contact the Raritan company or supplier to make certain that the bolt holes and fittings to the deck fit well where the Jabsco is..........
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

mjohnh wrote: Leonard: Does the "Sea Era" come in different sizes and, if so, which size did you use to replace the Jabsco manual. ...
I don't know if there are different sizes. Mine was virtually the same size as the circa 1983 Jabsco it replaced.
As I recall there was 1 or 2 mounting holes that I had to elongate slightly to make the Raritan bolt in.
And since I had the Raritan unit, I bought the same components that were needed for the fresh water conversion to convert the Jabsco.
Not from Raritan but commercially. All that was required was the solenoid valve and the anti-siphon valve.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Check Raritan's site. http://www.raritaneng.com/product/fresh-head/

It's the Fresh Head with a compact bowl (I think a household size bowl would be a tight fit in the 28).
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

We have just yesterday replaced our Jabsco manual head with a Raritan PHC. This toilet has the smallest footprint of Raritan's toilets, and uses the well-regarded PHII pump. We chose this over the Fresh Head - and chose not to go electric - due to the simple swap-out. We're satisfied staying with raw water intake since we boat in fresh water.

Obviously, the new head hasn't gotten much use yet, but the different feel of the pump compared to the Jabsco is impressive.

The Fresh Head looks like a really good option if you want to change to freshwater intake. Defender has the retrofit kit. Call Raritan if you have any questions. They are very helpful.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Nancy: Took your advice of last September and bought a replacement for the manual pump. Put it on in 15 minutes and all is well...Thank you.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

mjohnh wrote:Nancy: Took your advice of last September and bought a replacement for the manual pump. Put it on in 15 minutes and all is well...Thank you.
You're welcome. Yes, a new Jabsco manual pump is a big improvement, but turned out to be still sub-par in my opinion.

Do you take showers in your head? Might that be a problem if you install an electric head?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

We have not used that, yet. Yes, it might be a problem........Thanks for that thought........such a shower could be a little too "hot"......
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

We have the Jabsco electric conversion kit in both heads installed by previous owner. They are loud when flushing but then again, it's basically acting like a garbage disposal. No complaints and they work great.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

I've had two Jabsco electric replacements and am now back to another manual unit. The problem with the manual is the structural design of a column sitting on a plastic flange. The flange cracks. The electric unit uses paper gaskets which do not last. I'd opt for a completely different design and maker that will work with the footprint.
Don

Return to “Albin Maintenance”