• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6lp exhaust elbow

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

6lp exhaust elbow

Post by special k »

today my fishing trip was cut short as my exhaust elbow failed. bottom blew off. engine has 800+ hrs. I've seen some discussion about this but am having difficulty with my search.

1. looks easy enough to be a DIY job

2. where are parts available?

3. stainless a good option?

4. what can i expect to pay?

5. does rob have a pictorial on this repair? :lol:

thanks all!
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6lp exhaust elbow

Post by special k »

with a little more searching i found the info needed right here on this site. thanks AOG !

would still like to know about availability of stainless dry exhaust bend
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

if you can source a stainless version please post it up - we looked into fabricating one but cant find pipe fitting with a small enough radius after two of the three boats here had failed dry elbows. Thankfully ours wasn't one due to it being replaced around 50 hours prior to importing FP2
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Here is the wet one. Might try contacting him to see if he makes the dry as well. I purchased this wet one and installed over the winter, so far no issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yanmar-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Mixing-Elbow-119773-13501-LHA-STE-6LP-VBand/331505013988?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29005%26meid%3D14b507c1bf8c422c885e1f74bbce9820%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D331415347060
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

I had both of mine (wet and dry) replaced with stainless fabricated here on Long Island. Came out perfectly.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

i'll be calling marine manifold corp monday morning. do they have all the specs to make our replacement parts? would love to replace both wet and dry elbows in stainless but timeliness is a great concern. original replacement parts will be used if there is a great time differential.

i'm missing valuable fishing time and the originals did last 12+ years.

after the horrendous winter any down time from the salt is killing me

cheers!
dlbsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina

Post by dlbsails »

A 6lp stainless steel exhaust elbow is available on EBAY for $370.

Use the link below for just search for 6lp elbow

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=6lp ... mfe=search
Mark C
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Kalama Washington

Post by Mark C »

Special K,
Try
Scott Conahan
National Marine Exhaust, Inc.
3710-B 136th Street NE
Marysville, WA. 98271
360-659-2983 Office
425-356-7822 Cell
http://nationalmarineexhaust.com/

They just made both elbows for me in SS but the dry elbow was incorrect and I will get it next week. Price was high
$1,100.00 for both. The wet elbow looks great!
I have a 05 Flush Deck with a Yanmar 6LPA-STP
elad

Post by elad »

I had both elbows fabricated into one single piece with 316 SS. Extreme Marine Power in Stuart, FL did the work. They also improved the water spray by having the water enter the wet elbow at the top and adding more slightly smaller holes. They also hard coat insulated the whole thing. Cost a couple of years ago was $1,100.
dmorlo52
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New London, CT

Post by dmorlo52 »

I just had my exhaust modified for 2 reasons. 1. cast elbow was corroded (2005) 2. salt water was also getting into the turbine housing and possibly blades but they looked ok. I have a 6LY2A and I do not think the original design was adequate with relation to the height of the exhaust elbow to the water line. Gravity should be taken into account when designing exhaust system. I now have an all stainless steel system (316L welded with 316L wire) and the spray head is also 316L and is located at the highest point so gravity does its job in getting all the saltwater out away from the engine. Raising the elbows will also prevent saltwater from getting into the turbine and engine which as we know is very expensive. This was not a cheap mod but much cheaper than the alternative down the road. This is on a 35TE single engine. The height of the top elbow is just under the floor but insulation is same used in power plants on high energy, high temperature pipe. It is fabricated to fit perfectly and at operating temp of engine, a laser temp gun read 92 degrees on the insulation surface. Check this link out to see what mine looks like. www.sbmar.com

David
35 TE 6ly2A
Wine Down
dmorlo52
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New London, CT

Post by dmorlo52 »

When you get to the above website click on engine components, then exhaust, then custom to see photos and description of how system is fabricated.

David
Wine Down
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

replaced both elbows yesterday, along with exhaust hose and clamps. all done with yanmar parts as timeliness was extremely important. originals lasted 12 years before failure so i am comfortable with that and very little down time. really did not expect the expense of a couple cast exhaust components.

all in all this DIY project cost about a thousand dollars (B.O.A.T.) and a very well deserved offshore trip for my friend and first mate, who's help i couldn't have done without.

if i was doing this preventatively during seasonal down time i'm sure i would have gone with a custom stainless configuration, however, i needed to get back on the salt asap.

Return to “General Discussion”