• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6LP Raw Water Pump Question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

6LP Raw Water Pump Question

Post by Paddy »

My pump started to leak raw water out of the weep hole area, looks like the bearing is shot and the impeller housing has visible wear. Ready to order a new unit, but it looks like the new ones come without the gear. Does the gear need to be pulled and pressed back on?

thanks
2004 28TE
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Re: 6LP Raw Water Pump Question

Post by abellch »

I just overhauled my pump this spring. The gear is keyed on a taper shaft. I used a general purpose three jaw gear puller to remove and re installed using the retaining nut torqued to spec.

Chuck Abell
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Thanks Chuck. I'm going to ask the Yanmar dealer to flip it over for me, figured for the price of these things, it's the least they can do :)

If not, off to the auto parts store for a puller.
2004 28TE
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Post by abellch »

Understood, before investing in a tool for one time use any responsible machine shop/machinist should be happy to remove and reinstall for nominal $. Also many automotive parts stores will rent/Loan these types of pullers. On a taper shaft the gear is going to pop off as opposed to a slow pull. I put the gear puller in tension and give the center screw a sharp tap with a gamer and the gear pops free. If you have never experienced it it will surprise you. Good luck.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Also, These pumps are re-buildable. I had mine rebuilt by the local Yanmar dealer because the seals were leaking. I think it was just over 100$.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Ended up with a brand new complete pump for $525 total. I ordered the bottom half for $340 but New Jersey (Mac Boring?) sent the complete unit. Not losing another weekend over the price difference. The dealer swapped the gear but did not tighten the bolt, my neighbor carefully torqued it down with a electric impact drill and some blue locktite, set around 70lbs.

Will send the old unit out for a rebuild, nice to have a spare. Back in action, hoping to be back out fishing tomorrow night.

Thanks, as always, for all of your input.
2004 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”