• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder now hard to turn

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Rudder now hard to turn

Post by Sunsetrider »

When Manatee (1976 Albin 25) was put down for the long sleep last fall the wheel was free and easy to spin. Manatee was launched today after a long winter storage. When I moved her to our berth at the marina I found the wheel stiff - it takes a good bit of effort to turn it. I have not has the opportunity to inspect the rudder on the hard in advance of launch.

I wonder where I might check to find the problem, and how and what I might lubricate to address this? Ideas?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Rudder now hard to turn

Post by Mark Deeser »

Sunsetrider, we have a 27 FC, in the aft berth under back hatch the rudder shaft has one grease fitting and a couple good spots for spray lube. Hope your fix can be that easy. Thanks, Mark.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Mark, I think that is it. New to this, I neglected to grease that all lat season.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

Post by glk34 »

Lubrication is a good start but I would also lift up the floor panel over the rudder post and arm and make sure something hasn't fallen and is jamming the arm. Make sure the cable from the steering wheel is not kinked - a lot can move around during launch and moving the boat for storage. Also ropes and debris could be fouling the rudder itself. You can sometimes see the rudder if the water is clear or take a boat hook and reach under the boat to check. It is likely not too serious if it was fine when you put the boat up for storage. I take it you do not trailer the boat? Otherwise I would suggest taking the boat out to check the post and rudder itself.

Chris
"Iron Jack"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I managed to remove the cable from the rudder. Result: the wheel moves freely. I don't Hava a trailer and the marina will be busy for a few weeks launching. What to check now?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

sounds like your cable is fine. With our A25, I can hang onto the swim platform and reach the rudder with my feet. (when the water is not too cold), the rudder should move easily this way. You might even move it with boat hook if you back into your slip or dock. Also from inside the aft cabin, under the floor board, try moving the rudder shaft by hand. It has an arm on it and should move freely. If you try all this and the rudder still is moving hard, I think the boat will have to come out of the water. Maybe something got bent on the outside during storage or launching. There is not much to the steering system back at the rudder so it should be noticeable what is wrong.

Chris
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I had to remove the arm itself from the post to free the cable , so I'll try either the boat hook from the finger dock or vice grips on the post. However I am pretty much convinced it needs to come out of the water.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Chris
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Went down to work on the boat this beautiful holiday weekend, spent a few hours giving it a good swabbing, she looks good again. :)
Then I used the wrench to play with the rudder post a bit. Just before buttoning up the canvas I gave the wheel a turn and by golly! Seems I have fixed it! :D Not usre exactly how but I am certainly taking full credit . . .
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “Albin Maintenance”