• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1980 43' Trawler

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
thecatsmeow
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Pickwick Dam, TN

1980 43' Trawler

Post by thecatsmeow »

Hello everyone! Very excited to be a new member of the Albin Owners group. As we have only had our boat about 2 weeks now I had a few questions I would love to hear more experienced owners input on.

Number one question- I'm looking for covered slips to put the Albin in and need to know the overall height with the original mast. I heard the mast heights can vary since some people cut off masts to accommodate lower slip height.

Number two- Boom operation for dinghy... We have a 10' Avon w/ 15hp Honda and I could use any pointers on Do's/Don'ts on putting the dinghy up top using the boom. I have basic skills using rigging from Hobie Cat sailing, but I was curious of any comments

Number three- 120hp Ford Lehman diesels Only issue currently is starboard tach inop. Will be changing oil & filter, air filter, and impellers soon on both engines. Anyone have any tips for the starboard impeller? Looks like a real backbreaker.

Number four- Sticky throttle/gear linkage cables... What's the best method to get them greased and smooth again?

Cheers and happy boating! :)
There are good ships, there are wood ships... ships that sail the sea; but the best ships are friendships and those may always be.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: 1980 43' Trawler

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome to the form. Exciting times, new boat, some many challenges and things to learn. Most of your issues I can't be of help with, different Albin, different power plant. Look into the forms, got good direction from them when my boat was new to me, ( still do ). I had an inop tach on my boat, found it to be an issue with the alternator. Replaced it cleaned up wiring, problem solved. Hope others will chime in with helpful information, Albins are ment to be used. Thanks, Mark.
thecatsmeow
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Pickwick Dam, TN

Re: 1980 43' Trawler

Post by thecatsmeow »

Thanks for the reply! We got the boat down to Pickwick Lake after about 150nm trip. Everything went smooth and having the bottom inspected now. I haven't gotten to look at the tach wires yet, but I couldn't agree that Albin's are meant to be used. We had an exceptional trip and can't wait for more. Happy trawling-
There are good ships, there are wood ships... ships that sail the sea; but the best ships are friendships and those may always be.

Return to “New Member Introductions”