• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacing Impeller on Yanmar 315 6LPA-STE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Loris
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Mystic

Replacing Impeller on Yanmar 315 6LPA-STE

Post by Loris »

I am a new member and have just bought an Albin 30 FC with a Yanmar 315 6LPA-STE. The boat is in NJ and was sea-trialled and surveyed and everything looked very good.

I have planned to go to NJ to pick up the boat and "sail" it up Long Island Sound to Mystic this weekend. However, the boat has been sitting on the hard for at least a couple of years and I was told that I should replace the impeller on the water pump for the engine before I make the trip.

The yard that the boat is at cannot get to it before this weekend and I will have to do the work myself.

I have never worked with any kind of engine before. Therefore, I was wondering if there is a web resource that someone can direct me to, that will clearly explain the process to someone who is "mechanically challenged" but is still up for the challenge.

I can pick up the necessary parts here in Mystic, before I leave.

I have been told that in terms of engine layout and access, the Albin 30FC most closely resembles the Albin 28TE, flushdeck

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks a ton in advance
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Replacing Impeller on Yanmar 315 6LPA-STE

Post by RobS »

Loris wrote:..I have never worked with any kind of engine before. Therefore, I was wondering if there is a web resource that someone can direct me to, that will clearly explain the process to someone who is "mechanically challenged" but is still up for the challenge.
Is there a "Plan B" ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Loris
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Loris »

That's funny. Plan B is to abort/postpone the trip.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I can post some pics and a step by step but I don't think you want to wing it and then head out for a long delivery run like you have planned. I think access is real tight in that engine room up front from what I recall reading and seeing on this site. I have only worked on the engine box TE's so I am not certain but most likely the pump needs to come out for ease of access to remove the end plate, etc. I did look at an alternator belt on a flush deck for someone at a rendezvous and it was tight up fwd. It's April and still cold out on the waters here, I'd give it another week and have a qualified mechanic replace the impeller and give a general once over before you head out. Especially that she's been sitting....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Post by abellch »

On an 07 Flush deck 6lpa-stp, the impeller can be changed with the pump in place. Access is via the engine access panels in the midship berth. Remove 4 13 mm cap screws securing the hose outlet adapter housing to the main pump and remove. Remove the 8mm(?) cap screws securing the back plate and remove impeller. The bent nose plier extractor tool helps but it can be extracted by other means and there is room to work. Recommend new o-ring and outlet adapter gasket. On my boat there are three engine service panels in the cabin one long narrow panel the length of the mid berth, a panel for access to the fuel cooler and a larger rectangular panel behind the cabin steps for access to accessory drive and timing belt.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

RobS wrote:I can post some pics and a step by step but I don't think you want to wing it and then head out for a long delivery run like you have planned. I think access is real tight in that engine room up front from what I recall reading and seeing on this site. I have only worked on the engine box TE's so I am not certain but most likely the pump needs to come out for ease of access to remove the end plate, etc. I did look at an alternator belt on a flush deck for someone at a rendezvous and it was tight up fwd. It's April and still cold out on the waters here, I'd give it another week and have a qualified mechanic replace the impeller and give a general once over before you head out. Especially that she's been sitting....
I agree, that you need to have confidence that the boat is running well before making a long run like that. You are looking at what, maybe 10 to 14 hour run depending, maybe more. I once made a run from Point Pleasant, NJ to Mystic in 13 hours but that was mid summer leaving at 5:15 and had the current all the way thru NYC and most of the Sound, running 13 knots plus the current push (18+ knots all the way thru NYC to the Throgs Neck).
If I were to make a run like that with a boat that has been on the hard a while I would want to run it in the slip for an hour or so, making sure everything was good, then maybe take a short run around the area to make sure it doesn't overheat, crap out due to clogged fuel filter, etc. Only then would I be confident to make a long run, especially one thru NYC, east River, Hell Gate, etc where if you have trouble you have nanoseconds to react before you are in very serious trouble. Trust me I have been there done that.

But if you DO make the run this weekend...GOOD LUCK and I'll catch up with you in Mystic to hear the stories in a month or so.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Tow Boat US, don't leave home without it.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Loris
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Loris »

Thanks for all the technical info and sage advice. Have taken it to heart and postponed the trip. Am going to have the yard mechanic show me how to replace impeller and give the boat a once over in addition to changing the transmission oil and filters. Also going to practice replacing the fuel filters so that I can do it in a hurry if they get clogged during the trip.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”