• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

engine rebuild for Albin28

peterf
Gold Member
Gold Member

engine rebuild for Albin28

Post by peterf »

My yr. 2000 yanmar 6lp requires a total rebuild. Yanmar seemed like a good engine however in Nova Scotia we have very limited service with very few mechanics that are qualified. to work on there engines. In addition the parts required are extremely expensive as they come from the states or Japan. I was thinking of replacing with a rebuilt Cummins 350 where the parts are readily avail. and more mechanics are familiar with these engines.

Would appreciate hearing from people that have the Cummins 350 in their Albin28. performance, service, noise levels any other problems or advantages

Thanks,

Peter
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: engine rebuild for Albin28

Post by Tree »

Pitou is your Man for owning a 28 with a Cummins 370.

Out of curiosity, how many hours on the engine and whats the diagnosis for the full rebuild?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Post by Robb »

I have a 370 (355 bhp) Cummins in my 28. I have the engine out for rebuilt right now- just put the head on last weekend and am buttoning up a little every night this week. Previous owners ran it for 3800 hours overpropped and neglected much maintenance.

I personally like the mechanical 6BTA's as they are really easy to work on. However, there are some good deals on the newer common rail units showing on on Boatdiesel.com ocasionally lately. Something like a 380 or a 420 would also be a good fit and could be derated if you like via the computer control. Either way, Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine in CA is the go to guy for this engine series- read everything he has online.

If you are going from a Yanmar, odds are the exhaust is too small diameter and on the wrong side for the Cummins. The gear ration of the drive might also be off as the Cummins top rpm is 3000 with a typical 2200-2400 cruise. Definately louder than the Yanmar IMO.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
peterf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by peterf »

Thanks for the info and I will try and msg. Pictou My Yanmar requires a total rebuildl as overheated and blew the head gasket, warped the head, corroded the valves etc. and metal filings in the bottom of the engine.
Rebuild cost in Cdn. dollars will be about 35 k which is 27 k U.S. Finally after 8 years found a mechanic who is is familar Yanmar as well as certified on Volvo and Cummins. He will warranty for 2 years.so it would be just like a new engine I guess.
Was discussing and considering factory rebuilt Cummins as the parts are much less and available here & many more qualified mechanics. On the other hand might be a bigger job as heavier and bigger engine with lower rpm and the gear box ratio wold have to be replaced as well as re-propped among other tings I guess. Hard to get any info and I guess none available from the Albin mfg although not sure why but I think I read a post that they can't even be mentioned on this site which is quite confusing.
The really good news in all of this horror story is that it looks like my insurance co. will pay for it all!!
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Peterf, how much for a new engine? Rebuilt can mean different things to different people. If ins is going 27k, what would difference to new be? What a step up in life a new engine would be. Just a thought. Thanks, Mark.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

I have a Yanmar 6LP in my 1999 that has 2200 hours and counting. I change the timing belt every 1000 hours and it runs like a champ. Probably not too hard to guess my recommendation; particularly if the insurance company is picking up the tab.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”