• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar fuel filter replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Medford, MA

Yanmar fuel filter replacement

Post by tshug »

Starting to get things together to prep our 2004 28TE Flush Deck for the season. One of the things on the list is to replace the fuel filter on the Yanmar 6LPA-STP. Not having done this myself before what are the steps involved? I also will be replacing the zincs on the engine. I've seen many posts here about zinc replacements on the Yanmar, but being my first time doing it on this engine is there anything that needs to be done first (seacocks closed, etc,) before getting started?
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Yanmar fuel filter replacement

Post by Carl »

If you go to the manual, it has pictures and a description of the process. Just did mine last week, so I will advise on a few things. Close main fuel shutoff valve, mine is located on top of the fuel tank. First unplug the wires on the bottom of filter for the water sensor. Use a cup of at least 16oz to drain the filter, this is done by loosening the plastic valve on the bottom. Be careful, there are only a few threads before it falls out, hopefully into the cup. Use filter wrench to remove filter. Remove plastic float assembly from the bottom of the old filter, replace the o ring that comes with the new filter and install on the new filter. Lube the new filter and install, don't over tighten. Reconnect wires. Loosen the fuel line going to the injector pump at the top of the filter just a little, open main fuel valve. Using the plunger on top of the filter assembly, pump until fuel begins to weep from the fuel line connection you loosened. Tighten fuel line. wipe things up. Start engine while still in slip and let it run for at least 5 min. If done right, it shouldn't even miss a beat, but sometimes it may hiccup once or twice until any air is purged.
I typically replace the racor first, start the engine and let it run, then replace the yanmar filter.

Hope this helps.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Medford, MA

Re: Yanmar fuel filter replacement

Post by tshug »

Thanks for the info Carl. I did look at the manual, but your write up is much more detailed which is what I am looking for. Being a newbie working on a diesel the more info before starting the better!

Ted
2004 28TE "Evening Star"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”