• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for a Cruising Boat

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
VitaminJ
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Salem, MA

Looking for a Cruising Boat

Post by VitaminJ »

Hello all:

I grew up cruising on sailboats. I found that we mostly powered for a variety of reasons, mostly wind direction, strength, and time of day needed to get to the next destination (No sea breeze early in the morning for example) For this reason I've decided to race sailboats and cruise power. So the search has started.

I am looking for a nice cruising power boat. During my initial search, I have found the Albin 28TE and 31TE to have the best functionality (by searching the internet only) for me. I will lightly fish it, day boat it, and light short cruise it (2 weeks and under). We are a family of three but could potentially be four if things work out well ;o). I am currently looking at used boats and would love to have some idea of problem areas to look for etc. What are low hours on a diesel? What are high? Are there typical spots that wear and need replacing? What mods are needed for light cruising? It looks like most boats are selling for $60K-$130K depending on model (28vs31) year, and condition. What's a good deal? Are replacement parts easily available for 2000-2004 year boats? Which diesel engine do people prefer? (probably a loaded question, with plenty of bias, but just curious if there is a consensus)

I apologize for the many questions and if there are links to answers buried here somewhere, please redirect me. Thanks in advance.

Albin Owner Wannabe

P.S. I should mention that as seen on the internet, the 31 is more appealing to me.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Looking for a Cruising Boat

Post by Russell »

Many of us who own the 28 would like to move up to the 31, so I would say if you have the funds go directly for the 31. It has much more room for cruising and many have generators so you can have all the appliances on the hook. Don't worry about parts because most of the equipment is common and available from the original suppliers. Albin just installed them on the hull they made. The 31's will usually have a Cummins (my favorite) or a Yanmar. Single vs twins is up to you but the single cruises nicely for half the upkeep.
Maybe Pitou (Kevin) will add a comment. He has the ultimate 31 with common rail Cummins power. There is a 96 model on this site for sale called Ebb Tide that looks great and is in Connecticut. Good luck hunting.
Last edited by Russell on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

With a family you might consider a 27FC we are ex sailors and are enjoying the boat a lot
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

The 31 will give you a lot more elbow room and flexibility with a family.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

We love our 28TE, but definitely go for the 31 if you can swing it. The extra room would be key for your family of three (or four). Your wife will enjoy her time on the water a LOT more in a 31.
VitaminJ
Mate
Mate

Post by VitaminJ »

Thanks for all the info!! It sounds like I should focus on the 31'. That is very helpful. It also good to know that the fittings are common and still in production. What should i look for regarding engine condition/hrs? I will get a survey but it might be helpful to identify a potential problem before paying for a pro survey. Thanks again!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Basic engine advice:

It shouldn't smoke.
It should be able to achieve the rated wide-open throttle (WOT) RPMs with the amount of weight on the boat that you anticipate having.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Just catching this post and I appreciate Russell's fine compliments.

Vitamin J - The 28 and 31 in the TE series are great boats. I owned a 28 for 9 season and am going into my 2nd with the 31. As you are close to me I'd be happy to show you aboard my 31. It is stored in Essex on the hard and will be splashing around the 1st of May. There is quite a bit more room aboard the 31 than the 28 in terms of bunk, cockpit and salon/pilot house area. The 31 is a tank going through the water, but the 28 holds its own better than any other 28 that I know. The 28 will be more economical and a bit faster at cruise unless you don't mind burning fuel aboard the 31. Neither boat will win any races, but you and your crew will be safe and comfortable.

Let me know if you might like to check things out up close and I would be happy to have you abaord and I can most likely get you aboard a 28 as well. There is a 28 where I winter store and where I dock in Gloucester. Both are flush decks / one with the L setee and the other with a matching helm seat. You've chosen a great line of boats to pursue.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
VitaminJ
Mate
Mate

Post by VitaminJ »

Thank you very much for the invite!! I will take you up on this. What do you cruise at in the 31. I've been hoping for 18-20kts. I'd like to be able to make an afternoon jump to P-town or Isle of Shoals etc. I just saw a Compton on Boat Trader. This thing (while a little out of my price range) looks amazing. I can't find anything online regarding reviews, handling etc
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

VitaminJ wrote: What do you cruise at in the 31. I've been hoping for 18-20kts. I'd like to be able to make an afternoon jump to P-town or Isle of Shoals etc.
I have the single engine configuration and it cruises anywhere from 14 to 19 kts depending upon how much fuel you feel like burning. Once I hit 17 I'm at approx. 1 gallon per knot. The boat settles in nicely from 17 to 19. She is much more economical at 15 knots, but it's the captain who gets antsy. Her twin engine 315 Yanmar sister ships can cruise in the 23 knot range. Search some posts in the TE forum and I'm sure you will find some discussions.

The quick day trip to the Isle of Shoals is a fun and easy one. The ride back against the normal afternoon SW breeze and chop is nice and dry inside the pilot house.
VitaminJ wrote:Thank you very much for the invite!! I will take you up on this.
I'll let you know when the shrinkwrap is off!
VitaminJ wrote: I just saw a Compton on Boat Trader. This thing (while a little out of my price range) looks amazing. I can't find anything online regarding reviews, handling etc
The Compton's are nice boats, designed and built by Terry Compton the same designer of the Albin TE Series. They were only built for a few years and the crash of 2008 hit and the line ceased. The Compton's are certainly more refined, geared toward the picnic boat crowd and IMO not that well geared toward having a fishing rod aboard. Different boats, differnet folks!.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
phauparazzi
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Key West

Post by phauparazzi »

I have 2000 32+2 Command Bridge I will be selling soon. It just had a 100% top to bottom engine rebuild at a cost of over $30,000 done by Marks Yanmar Diesel in the Florida Keys. Has a Yanmar 350hp 6LYA-STE. 2 hours as of 3-26-2015. Its getting a full buff job and new bottom paint and its going in the water next week. Its a real nice boat with all the options. I have the original invoice that shows all options and total boat cost of $252,541. Im selling it for $105000. Ill get photos soon.
VitaminJ
Mate
Mate

Post by VitaminJ »

Pitou, I see that you are able to cruise at 17ish with your single engine. What hp is it. I've been looking at used boats that have been powered with anywhere from high 200hps to 450hp. I'm sure this makes a difference in cruising speed. Any idea what could be expected from the low hp to the high?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

VitaminJ wrote:Pitou, I see that you are able to cruise at 17ish with your single engine. What hp is it. I've been looking at used boats that have been powered with anywhere from high 200hps to 450hp. I'm sure this makes a difference in cruising speed. Any idea what could be expected from the low hp to the high?
My boat has an electronic controlled Cummins QSC 8-3 High Output at 500 hp and weighs 110 lbs more than the previous mechanical controlled Cummins 6CTA 8.3M High Output at 450 hp which was a very popular engine and often found in this boat. The engine transition was done to meet new EPA requirements on later builds. The 500 is the largest engine ever put in these boats, but the 450 was common and the largest before the EPA regulations changed.

Boats with high 200 hp engines will give you trawler speed only. There was a member on hear by the name of Tuxedo who was a former dealer and 31TE owner. He spoke of a couple of former sailors ordering the lower horse power boats as they did not care about what most would consider cruising speed for these hulls. He mentions that he unsuccessfully tried to talk them out of the lower horse power for the very least at resale meeting a larger market. I cannot remember if this discussion was on AOG or on The Hull Truth. He uses the same user name on both sites.

I'm partial to Cummins engines and when I was looking I wanted the 6CTA 8.3 at 450 hp., but this newer hull came up and the rest is history. My understanding is that you get a nice ride at 15 knots with the 6CTA., but you can push that up. WOT for this engine is 2600 RPM.

Maybe post a new thread in the Tournament Express section asking 31TE owners what they have for power and what their data is ..

Again, let me know if you want to come aboard. Though the wrap is still on, the boat is fully accessible and only the cockpit is covered so the rest of the boat is in full view with access through the transom door. It would have been cut off for April 1st, but with this weather and cold it will be staying on a bit longer. These days I'm on board a few days each week with spring prep.
Essex 3.9.2015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
VitaminJ
Mate
Mate

Post by VitaminJ »

Thanks so much for the info and I will definitely take you up on your offers.

Return to “New Member Introductions”