• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar Heat exchanger

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

Yanmar Heat exchanger

Post by Jforesta »

I will be removing my Heat exchanger this weekend for inspection and servicing.
Has anyone mechanically cleaned out their HE? 6lp ste
What is the process?
Some one suggested using an flexible aircraft cable attached to a drill to clean the tubes.
Should the HE be capped and soaked with some sort of acid before cleaning? If so, what do you recommend?
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Re: Yanmar Heat exchanger

Post by Maye Marie »

I did mine last year and it was pretty straight forward. I bought a gun cleaning kit small caliber and used it. That worked well for most of it. Definitly have the flex cable. There will be a few tubes you will use that for. Just remove the end covers and clean. No need to remove the intercooler from the motor. I do think it would be wise to do the fuel, oil transmission and fresh water cooler also. Those I would remove from engine. Once one up stream unit starts getting restricted the others wont be flushing as well and they wont be far behind.

Unless you are so clogged and you cant run a wire through I don't think you would gain much soaking. I am sure they would come out pretty, but in a month use they would be right back to were you are going to get them clean. It did not take me long cleaning them. Most of the time was to remove and install.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

If possible take some pictures of this process, would love to see the conditions. Thanks!!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Thanks for the responses. I pulled the HE this weekend elected to bring it to the shop for cleaning and pressure testing. $175. Worth the price.
Could of gotten away with sending rods through the tubes. I felt as long as it was out, just have it done right for the 175.
This HE was in pretty good shape thanks to Rob S previous owner (Toyrific )
I will post pics
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

I'm thinking of doing the same and I live on the island. Did you take the exchanger to an auto radiator shop or a place that handles marine exchangers / aftercoolers, etc?

thanks,

Rob
2004 28TE
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Acme radiator Islip Terrace. 49 Carlton Ave. I don't have the phone number. They r listed
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F

Return to “Albin Maintenance”