• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow Thruster Zinc revisited

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Bow Thruster Zinc revisited

Post by Paddy »

Last year, I was unaware that the thruster prop clicked on to the pin, so before I screwed anything up, I let the yard put the zinc on. This year, armed with better knowledge from this wonderful site, I gently tapped the prop off with some wood. What I found was a "like new" season-old zinc with no hardware and a crack on the side of the prop from where the yard must have used too much force. My first fear was that the yard stripped the thruster housing out and I was going to be "screwed." I put the new zinc on and thankfully, both screws snugged down.

Question #1 - the zinc has slight play in it. I could probably go tighter, but I'm afraid to strip them myself. Is this normal? Full disclosure, the zinc is from boatzincs, not from Vetus.

Part 2, I replaced the 3 blade with a 6 blade. In the parts kit, there is a small nylon washer. Its the only part that is new, the pin, s/s washer, and retaining nut were similar to the 3 blade. Where does this go? I left it off and mirrored the assembly of the 3 blade, but will re-do if it is necessary.

Thanks
2004 28TE
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Re: Bow Thruster Zinc revisited

Post by furball »

Rob,
On my thruster, the plastic washer threads onto the prop shaft before the nut.
When you remove the nut next year, thread the washer off and then tap off the prop.
I don't know if it matters much if it's not there. I my case, would depend if the prop was above or below the water. :D
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

John, are you saying that the re-assembly is prop / nylon washer / s/s washer / locknut? Or s/s washer / nylon washer / then lock nut, where you are tightening down on the nylon and crushing it?

Either way, I can easily remedy my mistake, I'm still on the hard.

thanks
2004 28TE
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Question #1...can you fit washers? Tap out the screw holes?. Use shorter screws?
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Paddy wrote:John, are you saying that the re-assembly is prop / nylon washer / s/s washer / locknut? Or s/s washer / nylon washer / then lock nut, where you are tightening down on the nylon and crushing it?
Prop / nylon washer / SS washer / prop nut and you're good to go.
Paddy wrote:Question #1 - the zinc has slight play in it. I could probably go tighter, but I'm afraid to strip them myself. Is this normal? Full disclosure, the zinc is from boatzincs, not from Vetus.
FWIW, I've never had play in my Zinc anode and I always buy from Boat Zincs. Maybe use a little WD or maybe some brake cleaner and brush the threads out a little with a stainless brush. That may get some crud out and help out when tightening.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Thanks guys, I will go ahead re-do the entire installation this weekend. Dropping the boat in the water by next Mon / Tues, will report back on the 6 blade performance, although from what I have read, the performance increase is minimal and the sound is just as loud...
2004 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”