• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Purchase of a 28 Albin TE official

Magnarae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford NY

Purchase of a 28 Albin TE official

Post by Magnarae »

My wife Melissa and I are official owners of a 2002 28 Albin TE 315 Yanmar. The weather did not cooperate very much with us during the survey process, but after all was said and done the survey came back with positive results as well as the Mechanical survey. The sea trial was completed the Tuesday before this last snow storm and we officially closed on the boat yesterday. Looking forward to a totally different type of boating than we are used to. I was very impressed with the ride of the boat. The only thing missing is the sonar. That will be one of my first projects. The boat is equipped with a Garmin 4212. I am not sure if I want to interface with the head unit it has or if I should go with a stand alone unit. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Bjorn B
2002 28 TE Engine Box
315 Yanmar
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Purchase of a 28 Albin TE official

Post by Russell »

Everyone has different preferences but mine would be to interface with your Garmin display unit. At 12 inches it is big enough to split the screen to see both map and sounder when you want. Having an extra display mounted from the roof or over the helm makes the pilot house look cluttered. I typically run out with only the GPS on the display and the depth is shown in a data box at the bottom and top of the screen. When I get to where we fish I switch to split screen. Check what Garmin has available for your unit and it should be an easy interface.
That looks like a very well kept boat, congratulations.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Magnarae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Magnarae »

Thank you Russ. She is a very clean boat. I do like the idea of keeping a clear view at the helm. I ran my old boat a lot at night and I kept as little as possible mounted in front of me. That's what is making me lean towards interfacing.
Bjorn B
2002 28 TE Engine Box
315 Yanmar
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Overhead is okay if the units are mounted in the right position. The fwd view on T-R had zero obstruction. Bracket mounting display units atop the dash is where you starting obstructing the view, in a big way..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Magnarae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Magnarae »

Rob can you tell me what size unit you have hanging there? Do you have any close up shots of the way you mounted the depth finder? From the picture you posted, it looks like there is zero obstruction of your view.
Bjorn B
2002 28 TE Engine Box
315 Yanmar
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Magnarae wrote:Rob can you tell me what size unit you have hanging there? Do you have any close up shots of the way you mounted the depth finder? From the picture you posted, it looks like there is zero obstruction of your view.
Welcome, Magna, and congratulations on your new boat!

We know you are new here (other than your post count) by asking whether Rob has photos. It's kind of like asking whether birds have feathers. :)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

As Nancy said, here you go. That was a Furuno FCV620 on a Ram Mount. Here's the Ram Mount website link and a few pics. The unit measured 6.7" square.

http://www.rammount.com/products/marine ... findermain
DSCN8655.JPG
fcv620 ram mount.jpg
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Magnarae wrote:Rob can you tell me what size unit you have hanging there? Do you have any close up shots of the way you mounted the depth finder? From the picture you posted, it looks like there is zero obstruction of your view.
And here is a picture of the Furuno FCV620 on a Ram Mount that I had mounted on my 28TE. I had followed suit on Rob's install. Zero obstruction. I'm planning to add a sounder in the same manner on my 31TE.
CIMG0910 (640x480).jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Magnarae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Magnarae »

Rob/Kevin thank you for the pictures. I like how clean the install looks. I have one other question. What type of transducer did you guys go with? I have been reading a good amount of info on cored hulls and I have seen mixed opinions on In hull versus through hull.

Nancy; I guess what I should have asked Rob was is there anything he doesn't have pictures of. I have been poking around Robs post for sometime. I was truly impressed with the condition of Toyrific prior to his sale. I am sure I will be harassing him for some more photos in the near future. After seeing the condition of his boat, it set the bar high for what I was looking for. I had looked at some newer Albins and I was shocked at the lack of maintenance and general upkeep.
Bjorn B
2002 28 TE Engine Box
315 Yanmar
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Transducer & Location

Post by Pitou »

Bjorn -
I installed the Airmar angled thru-hull transducer and Rob went with a high speed fairing block. Both of us had great results. I'll look to see if I have the invoice for the project including the transducer though it most likely went with the boat when I sold her. The key to getting a good reading is to mount the transducer port side, forward of the engine and a short distance outboard from the center line under the center hatch in the pilot house.

Here is the thread from 2009 with more detail on our projects:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2305&hilit=furuno
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I also had the tilted element transducer on my previous boat and just had one installed in my present boat. I like the flush mount that cannot be damaged by fork lifts, less drag, and they work fine. If you are going to fish in very deep water you may not be viewing the area directly under your boat. When drifting over wrecks and reefs the boat drifts sideways so it makes little difference but you can put the transducer on the leeward side if you want to see what is coming up.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Lots of good thoughts here. I do like the ram mount shown in Pitou's picture. I will need at some point to do some updating. Like these ideas.
whwells "Howard"
2006 Sabre 42'
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by Pasteur »

Magna,

You're going to enjoy the 28. She's a great platform for fishing and for cruising.

I'm in the process of updating (not replacing) the Garmin hardware on Zero PSII. So I am facing some similar issues. That said I'm not (yet) completely Garmin proficient...

Our boat has the Garmin 4010 and an older, smaller Garmin chart plotter. For modules she has a sounder, Sirius weather/satellite radio, radar, and 2 GPS sensors. The Garmin network gives access to all of the modules to both of the chartplotters.

In the short term I would simply add the sounder to your existing network (or directly to the 4212) and do the split screen routine. With your 4212 you'll have enough room to do the split screen comfortably. In my opinion the 10" screen is a bit too small for this.

Once you've used your system in that split screen configuration you can have a second bite at this apple. If you want to add another unit above the helm then you haven't lost anything but a bit of time.

Good luck.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

Post by Jforesta »

I am the lucky recipient of Robs former Toyrific, now Abbastanza. I can attest that Robs electronic locations were carefully laid out and spot on.The helm is clutter free! The only obstruction is the starboard center windshield stancion which you get use to.
Robs library. Never ceases to amaze me.
Joe
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Magnarae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Magnarae »

Joe I do like the way Rob laid out the electronics in the helm. Would it be possible for me to get together with you and get a close up look and maybe sit in the helm seat? I'm not far away from you.
Bjorn B
2002 28 TE Engine Box
315 Yanmar

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”