• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Buff Magic

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

Buff Magic

Post by Jforesta »

Has anyone used these polishing products from Shurehold?
Saw a video by Shipshape TV where they highlighted there polishing products.
Thing of using it on my blue hull
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Re: Buff Magic

Post by Paddy »

I love the products, especially Buff Magic. Wipe on, buff off by hand or machine. Pro Polish is even easier to use. Apply, wait for a haze, easy hand wipe off. With the Buff Magic, I wouldn't let it dry, my poor wife would apply a small amount in front of me and I would follow with the buffer. I could bang out the hull of my previous 28' in less than 2 hours.

With the Albin, I decided to go with Garry's Clean and Wax product. I'm not thrilled with it, especially with the tan colored topsides. Hard to see and it doesn't appear to be lifting and cleaning the stains like Buff Magic did. So, I am going back to Buff Magic this season.
2004 28TE
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Oops, just caught your last line about the blue hull. Not sure what you have, but my hull was newly painted with Awlgrip, and per their directions, I sucked it up and bought their brand of wax and hand applied. From what I read, its the same as 3M Finesse It. For the rest of the boat, I am going with Buff Magic.
2004 28TE
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Rob:
I'm confused by you comments. I don't believe Awlgrip instructions recommend a wax; I've always used their polymer coat. Easy on, easy off and quite durable. 3M's FinessIt II would be used to remove compound swirl marks after trying to restore a weathered finish. Maybe things have changed.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

You are correct, I have the Awlgrip Polymer Sealer Wax. I purchased that and the "wash down" product as my hull was painted in May '13 and it did not require any heavy duty cleaning / buffing. I read somewhere on the wonderful internet that the Polymer Seal is just someone else's product with the Awlgrip name on it at double the price, I could have sworn they mentioned 3M Finesse It. Finesse It is a light compound, not polymer seal, so it could not have been that, but most likely something in the 3M family.

Sorry for the confusion!
2004 28TE
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Buff Magic is fantastic! I used it last year on my 2003 Flag Blue hull. It was used in combo with a Porta-Cable buffer with medium pads.
It prepped the hull better than anything I've used before.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Bob, I hope so. I bought the HK Porter tool in January and the Buff Magic just recently. A 98 boat with the green hull, she needs something that will last three months. How do you like the HK Porter tool? I have enough heads to last several years.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Albin Maintenance”