• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raritan Fresh Head

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Raritan Fresh Head

Post by jms02050 »

Hi - Came across a new product from Raritan while kicking around replacing my Jabsco manual head. The Fresh Head is a manual head that ties into your pressurized fresh water system. I like the manual apsect for simplicity and the ability to control the amount of flush water to account fo rthe 28s small holding tank.

Anybody have any experience with one?

http://www.marinelink.com/news/pressuri ... 71514.aspx

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... id=2598940
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Raritan Fresh Head

Post by Mark Deeser »

Looking to do some upgrades in the same area. Thanks for some new ideas.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have a Raritan Sea Era head that uses pressurized fresh water, but it's an electric flush. It works great, and eliminates the sea water stink. It has been in service for 7 years and everything still works fine. Uses minimal water, nothing leaks, no complaints.
Why not go electric? Without the raw water impeller the flush is almost silent.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

If I go electric, it would be a Sea Era. I get the feeling that it might use more water than the manual, just a guess though. I know that the Sea Era has a push button control rather than something like a panel that offers a dry flush option (as seen on some higher end Raritans). Also nice that the Fresh Head appears to be a direct replacement, in terms of footprint, for the Jabsco.

It's nice to have options...
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

jms02050 wrote:If I go electric, it would be a Sea Era. I get the feeling that it might use more water than the manual, just a guess though. I know that the Sea Era has a push button control rather than something like a panel that offers a dry flush option (as seen on some higher end Raritans). Also nice that the Fresh Head appears to be a direct replacement, in terms of footprint, for the Jabsco.

It's nice to have options...
Yes I replaced a Jabsco with the Sea Era. It was an exact fit but was close enough.
You can control the electric flush by the time you press the switch. PLUS I installed a shut off valve in the toilet supply line, and I have the valve partially closed. That limits the water usage. You can dial that in by adjusting the valve.
A panel with 2 switches or a double throw switch would allow you to empty the bowl dry. I have never found a need to do that.

And I might add that I have 2 heads on the Albin, and I converted the forward Jabsco electric head to also use pressurized water. I just bought all the proper parts (solenoid and backflow preventer) then removed the rubber impeller out of the motor assembly (and plugges the water ports). It flushes as quietly as the Raritan. It's the impeller that makes all the noise and draws the amperage.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Great info. Thank you. First order of business is to install a fresh water tank monitor once the snow melts.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle

Return to “Albin Maintenance”