• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member seeking info on fuel consumption Albin 36

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
pstap
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Moss Landing, CA

New Member seeking info on fuel consumption Albin 36

Post by pstap »

I would like to introduce myself and it is my first time being part of a forum. Currently have a 19' Donzi in Moss Landing, CA. Want to go up to a larger boat so looking at Albins and would like to see if anyone has information on fuel consumption on Albin 36 trawler with twin 315 Yanmar engines at trawling speed of 7 to 8 knots and also cruising speed of 15 knots. Thank you in advance for your help.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: New Member seeking info on fuel consumption Albin 36

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome to the the form, sorry not familiar with that engine. Go to the search function and do an advanced search on that engine, saw a number of post going in that direction. Have also seen a number of post based strictly on engine hp and percent of max power used. The ponies must be fed, and you are talking about a good number of them. Happy hunting.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Are you looking at the Express Trawler or the Classic Trawler. With two 315 Yanmars, it sounds like an Express. If you are looking at the one in Maine, there might be an issue with a recall on the engines that wasn't performed. Check the 36 ET forum for details.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Pstap: This boat may be a very good fine. I was very interested in the boat for Puget Sound. As Joreyn points out there maybe need for some engine work. The timing belts needed to be changed at 6 years or 1200 hours which where-ever occurs first. The owner was unaware of that Yanmar factory requirement and agreed to take care of that issue. Someone on the forum suggested about 4,000. to update each engine.
I had the twin 315's in my former Albin and had the timing belts procedure done at 400 hours but at the 6 year requirement. This boat as I recall only has 500 hours and looks to be in really great condition. The costs of updating the engines seems well worth while in such a clean boat.

My big issue was getting the boat out west. Since you are in Moss Lake, Ca if this is the boat of interests you will need to address the issue.
These boats have been shipped with the flybridge intact from Canada to Florida and west across the the southwest to Calif. The problem is the narrow roads and getting the boat out of the NE without removing the Flybridge. The flybridge can be removed but it will be expensive at both ends. Sounded like 6500.00 to Remove and 6500. to Replace. It still maybe an excellent buy.

Another alternative is to take the boat south to Florida by water and then have it trucked to Calif. Actually if you get the boat out of the NE to Florida by water you could have it trucked out west for less money then shipping around by one of the tankers.

I did a lot of research on this boat, so if it is one of interests i would be happy to share my findings. It is do able.

whwells "Howard"
Last edited by whwells on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pstap
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Moss Landing, CA

Post by pstap »

Thank you all for the information about the engines and the shipping. I really appreciate it. I am looking at the one in Maine. This is all new to me so I really appreciate the knowledge you all have on these boats.

We want to use it for our research on whales and dolphins and for whale disentanglement. We primarily will go around 7 to 9 knots but just wondered what it would consume going faster. It will go 20 knots and cruse at 15 knots. I just want the ability to go fast if needed. There is someone who has a 35 Albin locally with twin 370 Cummins and he told me that it uses 3.8 gallons at 6.5 knots

Another thing a friend of mine was worried about was rolling. When I was talking with one of our volunteers who is a captain and has driven so many different types of boats around the world and has an older trawler told me that he thought the boat, being a trawler, would roll back and forth and I may need flopper stoppers. He knows in our current boat, a 19' Donzi, I like to turn off the engines, one: to save fuel, two: I like the quiet, and three: to put the hydrophone in. I would want to do that also with the Albin 36, plus I want to put computers in the salon so we can use as an office as well. We may just go out past the mile marker buoy and do our "office work" and if we get a report of an entangled whale we are ready to respond. Do you think what I described is doable or will I need flopper stoppers?

Thank you.

Peggy
MarineLifeStudies.org
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Our 36 does roll a little, but nothing like the round bottomed trawlers do. It also recovers quickly. If you are stopped in ocean swells and taking them on the beam, you are going to notice it. It will also roll while underway, especially when hit on the beam with large boat wakes. But really, all monohulled boats will do that. I've never felt the need for flopper stoppers.

For the uses you describe, this is a very good boat. The cockpit and the swim step give excellent access to the dock or the dinghy. the interior space makes a very good office, and you can use the second stateroom as storage. It has lots of space. The Flying Bridge is superb while underway in good weather. It is a perfect spot to look for sea creatures.

From what I can tell, you are looking at a complete electronics package on this particular boat. The current electronics are obsolete, and they were kind of jury rigged from the beginning. Figure on a couple of chartplotters, depth sounder module, transducer, probably upgrade to newer radar, and a new VHF Radio (get one with AIS). You'll want to network all of this together, so a network hub will most likely be needed. Talk to people about how to put this all together. I'm sure there is a good marine electronics shop in NorCal. Or the Raymarine website has some conceptual drawings of how to do it.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “New Member Introductions”