• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Has anyone added a toe rail to their boat?

Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Has anyone added a toe rail to their boat?

Post by Mike Ebert »

We are often fishing in very bumpy water while chasing salmon. My buddy has a Grady White with a toe rail along both sides of the deck. It is to hook your toes under for stability while fighting a fish. I was thinking about screwing a 1" dia. stainless pipe to the brush/boat-hook holders hoping that they will stand up to the lifting pressure. Anybody else install them? Photos would be appreciated.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Has anyone added a toe rail to their boat?

Post by Tree »

Mike, I thought all the 28's had them as standard? When I get round to it I'm also having handrails so I can mount rods horizontally.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I had them on my 28TE and they are on my 31TE as well. I did notice in my search for the 31 that not all 31's had the toe rails installed.

Attaching them as you describe is exactly how the OEM toe rails are attached. Guessing that they are 7/8" Stainless Tube inserted into brackets on each end that are screwed / lagged into the the heavy wooden screw strip that the rod holder box screws into. The lags are heavy duty. I had the toe rails off of the 28 a couple of times as I needed to remove the rod holder boxes for varying project access. Over the next couple of days I'll seach out the brackets .. I know that I have the info somewhere??? :roll:

Here are a couple of pictures to give you the idea:
Toe Rails 31TE.jpg
CIMG0973 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Here you go .. Toe Rail Fitting: Sea Dog 316 Stainless accepting 1 inch tubing and 1/4 inch fasteners.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... 55483.html
Sea Dog Toe Rail Fitting.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Ebert »

Wow, great info. Changed the way I had planned to do it too. Photos to follow when done.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Ebert »

OK, I bought the end caps from Sea Dog, polished up some 1" O.D. stainless pipe and am ready to put in the toe rails. If convenient for someone, I still need to know the distance between the rail and the deck. I'm thinking 2" from the photos I've seen but it would be nice to have the exact factory height.
Thanks,
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Mike Ebert wrote: I'm thinking 2" from the photos I've seen but it would be nice to have the exact factory height.
Thanks
Mike - Snow pack is crazy here. Boat is accessible, but the transom door is my way in under the shrink and the bottom rollers are frozen creating some access frustration. Once I can get in I'll get you some measurements.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Ebert »

Thanks for your help Kevin, much appreciated. Not life or death here, if my toes fit we should be OK. What a winter you've been having. Very entertaining watching it on TV and not having to shovel it!
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I'm glad that the northeast / Boston area is able to be of some entertainment value. The snow fall has truly been epic especially since most of it fell over a three week period and always on a Sunday Monday .. not my best idea of a three day weekend!

I found my way into the boat today in order to do a little prep for the electronics shop who are due aboard a week from Monday.

Here's a picture of the deck to bottom of toe rail at 2 1/4 inches (click on the picture for a better view). Good luck with your install.
Deck to Bottom of Toe Rail.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”