• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

GFI Plugs and Icemaker

seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

GFI Plugs and Icemaker

Post by seasalt »

The less than two year old Raritan Ice maker that Chuck installed right before I bought Hi Spirits has stopped working. When the switch is turned on it makes no sound...like it's not getting power. All the breakers inside are on. It does not have a dedicated breaker; instead I assume it is on the starboard outlets breaker.

One last idea before I have it pulled is that it might be in a GFI circuit. I have found three on the boat. One by the galley sink, one on the forward end of the salon settee and one in the head.

Are there any more?

Is it possible that the ice maker is plugged into a GFI plug inside the cabinet?

Thanks

Ron
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: GFI Plugs and Icemaker

Post by whwells »

Ron: From what I recall of the 35te Flybridge you have located all. Seems to be putting GFI at the box would make sense. Your is a rather special editiom with the full size ref., up galley and all. is your ice maker a separate unit. Thought Chuck just did the new ref., but I could be wrong.
Have you tried running our friend Chuck down?
whwells "Howard"
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Howard,

I will give Chuck a call this evening if he does not check in here. We are heading out the door to South Seas Resort in a few minutes.

He did put in a new Norcold refer some time ago but I don't know when. The ice maker was put in between when we first saw the boat in April 2013 and when we bought it in July 2013.

If I discover a serious problem with it, I will toss it. We use it for feeding the beer ice chest and nothing else. My wife won't use tank water ice in her drinks. I won't either until later in the evening when who cares what it is if you need an ice cube. The space will get a door and be storage.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

Have you checked the ice maker to make sure that is not the problem? If you turn it on does it get cold? I had the same problem and it turned out to be the control panel on the ice maker. If you go to Raritan tech support they give you a step by step way of checking the ice maker. Very easy process.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Irishwake,

It makes no sound whatever when the switch is turned on. Usually when I flip the switch it starts to hum. No cold, no water flow...nothing. Dead as a ball peen hammer (which may be what it needs).

That is why I suspect that it is not getting power.

If it is getting power then whatever is next in line for the power is broken
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Ron, have you double checked that gfci by the sink, a logical point of connection for a metal ice maker. Check with Raritan as suggested and then pull the ice maker and check the connection - not a difficult job. Good luck.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

If you go to the Raritan site it will give you step by step directions to trouble shoot the electrical system, including checking the power system. Very easy if you have a ohm meter and a piece of wire.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Thanks Chuck for being there. Do you know if it is plugged in or hard wired? I checked the sink with no joy.

P.S. Got a email from Chuck telling me where to look for the wiring. I'll give an update after my mechanic looks at it in a couple of weeks. Going out of town to see some snow.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

A Raritan tech walked me through several tests. Took a while and they are nice to deal with.

This is what I know:

1. The unit has power. You can jump around the nylon wheel on the ice ejector and make it go all the way around.

2. The control module is getting power in several places.

3. The compressor is not getting power and this sorta, maybe rules it out as a problem. My boat luck is not that good, however.

4. The tech now suspects a loose or corroded neutral wire on the back of the unit.

5. It has to come out to see the wiring diagram and the rest of the wiring.

6. I am leaving on a two week car trip tomorrow so everthing will have to wait.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

I had the ice maker diagnosed by a authorized tech for $90.00. To fix it the part will be $200.00 plus another $100 labor. So $400 into a unit that he said was past its prime.

I don't need an ice maker. A small freezer or refrigerator would serve our needs better.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement appliance? I may end up making a door for the hole for additional storage and buy bagged ice.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”