• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pre-1998 Peninsulars

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

nickr917
Mate
Mate
Home Port: None

Pre-1998 Peninsulars

Post by nickr917 »

Hi all, I'm in the process of purchasing my first Albin (28TE) and have possibly narrowed it down to two boats. Both are nice boats but I have some questions about the engines. Both boats have 1997 engines, one boat was built in 1997 and the other in 1998. I don't have concerns about Peninsulars built 1998 or later but from what I understand Peninsulars built around 1997 can have issues due to some bad drilling of the cylinders. I spoke to Matt at Peninsular in general about these older engines and he said that any engine built around 1997 can have this problem but it is impossible to know which engines have the bad drilling. He said you won't know until something goes wrong but engines with higher hours are likely to be ok because most of the bad engines broke at relatively low engine hours (<500). The 1998 boat has 1100 hours while the 1997 boat has 600 hours. I would feel more comfortable with the 1998 boat but it might have some other engine issues that would push me towards the 1997 boat, though it has lower hours, and perhaps a higher risk of breaking.

Any thoughts on these older engines? Has any one had problems personally or know of someone who did?
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Pre-1998 Peninsulars

Post by eseyoung »

Someone told me in my search that a Beast of that vintage should be considered problematic...as in budget in a replacement in your offer. That said if it was repowered with a later model its as reliable as any other.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

nickr917 wrote: engines with higher hours are likely to be ok because most of the bad engines broke at relatively low engine hours (<500). The 1998 boat has 1100 hours while the 1997 boat has 600 hours. I would feel more comfortable with the 1998 boat but it might have some other engine issues that would push me towards the 1997 boat, though it has lower hours, and perhaps a higher risk of breaking.
?
Considering your comments about failures occurring at or before 500 hours I would consider the engine with 600 hours to be at risk.
I am sure that statistically it would fall inside the infant failure boundary.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
poillon1

Post by poillon1 »

Take a look at our 1998 28TE with Cummins and eliminate the worry in your decision!
nickr917
Mate
Mate

Post by nickr917 »

Yeah, I guess getting the boat at a price where replacing the engine is factored in would be alright, though a bit of a pain if an issue did arise. Are there any AOG members with personal experience with one of these older Peninsulars or second-hand stories?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

nickr917 wrote:Yeah, I guess getting the boat at a price where replacing the engine is factored in would be alright, though a bit of a pain if an issue did arise. Are there any AOG members with personal experience with one of these older Peninsulars or second-hand stories?
Over the years there has been extensive discussion on the Peninsular engine on AOG. Use the "Search" function using the single word "Peninsular" and you will find pages & pages of information that should help you navigate through the decision process.

Hope to see you in the fleet soon! 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
nickr917
Mate
Mate

Post by nickr917 »

Pitou, I had searched "Peninsular" only in Topics and didn't find that much info relevant to the 1997 engines but I went back last night and searched Peninsular 1997 in Posts and got a lot more relevant info.

Based on what I read last night it seems like you just have to get lucky with the 1996 to 1998 engines. Most of them are fine but some break, and there is no way to know which ones it will happen to.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

penn 300.pdf
While going through and removing boating papers from my office I came cross this spec sheet on the 300 Peninsula. My Albin is a 1998.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

Serenity: is that your own observed data, or from Albin. FWIW, those #'s are way better than my own 28TE with the Beast. ( '97)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Have you called Penninsular with the engine serial number? Matt there should be able to help you with any questions or concerns.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

serenity, your chart is unbelievable. i'd trade my yanmar and oodles of dollars to have my 28te, (or any equivalent boat) get 2.7 nmg @ 27.5 knots.

your chart seems to indicate the faster you go the better the fuel economy. alternate boating universe :roll:
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

John Madison and Special K, those numbers are not mine but from the factory or Albin. My 98 Albin was repowered in May of 2009 with a 315 Yanmar. The original owner had too many issues with the Beast.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

my 2002 with 6lpa-stp yanmar can eek out 1.5 nm/g fully loaded,bait, ice,equipment,crew and supplies and maybe 2 nm/g light cruising. gallons per hour mean nothing to me as i always try to run in my "sweet spot" and it varies with the seas.

just my anecdotal experiences i'm sure all others will vary.
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

Serenity wrote:John Madison and Special K, those numbers are not mine but from the factory or Albin. My 98 Albin was repowered in May of 2009 with a 315 Yanmar. The original owner had too many issues with the Beast.

I figured that had to be some BS from Albin. Those #'s are ridiculous.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”