• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

To DIY or not to DIY, that is the question

Jknox0601

To DIY or not to DIY, that is the question

Post by Jknox0601 »

With apologies to the Bard (Shakespeare), I am asking the sage owners of this group to weigh in on whether or not it is worth having the professionals at the boat yard do the following tasks on my recently purchased 2002 28TE. By way of background, I am reasonably handy, have good tools and enjoy (to a point) doing projects. However, I am no pro, and I also have limited time due to my job, and I only want to do projects myself that will likely go fairly smoothly and the results of which will be high quality. I am willing to pay the pros to do the tricky work, and also the annoying work!

There are three things that need doing on my boat that I submit for consideration:

1: Engine box soundproofing. The previous owner recently replaced the original Yanmar engine with a brand new Volvo D6 diesel, a great engine and one of the main reasons I bought the boat. Unfortunately, the yard that did the work did not replace the engine box sound insulation, so I have an uninsulated, and quite loud, engine compartment. I have researched materials and understand what needs to be done, but I don't know how hard it is to achieve a really first rate finished product.

2. Installing pantographic windshield wipers: the boat has the original wipers, which are wholly inadequate. The starboard side motor appears to be kaput, and the others appear to be the older ATI 1000 series, which I understand are not strong enough to handle pantographic wipers. I will be using the boat offshore in wet conditions and need good and reliable wipers. I am assuming I need to replace all three motors and install the new arms and blades.

3. Installing a cabin heater driven off the engine cooling system. I have discovered that Volvo has a unit I can purchase for about $600 but that it needs to be connected to the cooling system, electric system and the ducting needs to be run. I would like to potentially install ducts to defrost the windshield if the cabin is closed while running and we get condensation/fogging on the windshield (my buddy's boat in the PNW has it and we use it frequently when running for salmon off the northern coast of Vancouver island).

Any thoughts, advice or other comments welcome. thanks!

John
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: To DIY or not to DIY, that is the question

Post by eseyoung »

I'd say its more about your comfort level versus what anyone else thinks.

Personally, i wouldn't think twice about doing the first and second on your list. there is good access to the area for both projects and many repercussions for failure.

The heater on the other hand i MAY do after looking at it. I am guessing that project is going to involve some saws to cut some dash away for the vents. This part would make me nervous, but i don't know the first thing about fiberglass work. Only slightly less intimidating to me is cutting the coolant line of a brand new engine.

that said if i could plan the job and see exactly what i needed (tools and parts) i MAY consider doing that too.

but hey, that's just me Your skills may not be the same.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I changed to a pantographic wiper on my 97 Albin with no problem from the old wiper motors. I would recommend making the change before purchasing new motors. The best thing by far is Rain-X.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I've just completed the pantograph if wiper conversion on two Albins both with the AFI 1000 motors. Absolutely no problem what so ever, well except removing the old wipers!

It took me a little over an hour to do the second boat once I had a game plan in place for removing the old wipers.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jknox0601

Post by Jknox0601 »

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear the old motors worked, as that will save some $$!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

They all sound like easy projects to me
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

John: What boat does your buddy in Vancouver, BC run? There are a lot of Albin's up that way as Bellingham Yachts was the dealer before the company went down. In fact they were the broker for the sale of my 35 Albin Te.
We have a very active PNW Albin Group if your buddy is interested - Albin or other brand. In fact I am now the odd ball out having sold my Albin and moved to the Sabre. However, the group is great and I plan to stay active there.
May want to get some advise from you and your buddy on fishing there for salmon. The catch is poor in Puget Sound most of the time. The local'sBellingham do okay but then they know when the salmon are in the sound getting ready to make the river runs.
You did well finding Nemo. That is a great boat for the SF waters.
whwells "Howard"
2006 Sabre Flybridge 42
Former 35te Albin flybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22/Trinidad fisher
Jknox0601

Post by Jknox0601 »

Well, I have the wiper project done and it went fine. Reviewed the posts here and used the dremel tool trick to get the old ones off. I haven't used them offshore yet but based on the hose test t the dock they are a huge improvement. One down, two to go!
Jknox0601

Post by Jknox0601 »

Howard,

My buddy up north runs a Sea Sport 24. It is a bit smaller, but a very good sea boat and fishes well. He needs something trailer able for the trips to Tahsis, BC, where he fishes. The boat lives at WestView marina there when the summer fishing season is on and he has a condo in Tahsis. Fishing there is world class (unlike Puget sound, sadly).

John

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”