• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propane storage

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Propane storage

Post by Halcyon »

Hi all. I received a nice Magna carrying case for my grille. It has room for a couple of disposable propane bottles. I plan on keeping the grille in the lazarette. Is it 'legal' to store the disposable bottles with the grille below decks?
The boat has a larger propane tank for the range and is equipped with a gas detector in the bilge.

Thanks! Trav
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Re: Propane storage

Post by tego »

Trav, It's not illegal to store them below decks. That said, one of those small bottles has enough propane in it to level your boat to the waterline. I'd find a place to store them in a deck locker or anyplace above deck. I don't trust them. My opinion. Ben
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Halcyon wrote: Is it 'legal' to store the disposable bottles with the grille below decks?
The boat has a larger propane tank for the range and is equipped with a gas detector in the bilge.
Hey Trav,

One of the great things about having a diesel boat is that you can be pretty darn certain that when you turn the key...it won't blow up!! :shock: So I wouldn't be too keen about storing the portable tanks below.

Now, you did introduce a wrinkle here with the gas detector, but I do wonder where the actual larger tank is installed. I'm hoping it's in a vented gas locker with a solenoid to shut off the feed lines when not in use. So they likeliest time for gas to get below would be when you are actively using the range, as opposed to the portable tanks that could leak anytime.

My advice - keep the small tanks someplace where if they did leak the gas would vent over the side. On our 28 we kept them in the transom locker with the bottom drains so any leaking gas would exit out the stern. On the 35 I keep them in the flybridge locker, which again vents overboard (not as directly, but very unlikely to get to the bilge!)

And of course I'd only use new (not refilled) tanks in good condition. I store mine in freezer bags. Keeps the salt air off of them and keeps them from banging around.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

There was a similar issue regarding the storage of acetylene cylinders aboard ship perhaps 20 years ago. In Europe (and perhaps elsewhere) they were required to be stowed in the engine room and in the US they were required to be stowed on deck. While it was not big deal to move them in and out, I thought there should be one preferred solution for safety sake. When I worked the US side, I did not see a solution only sympathy. I wonder if this has been resolved? If it is truly a safety issue one place should be better than the other and rules should be harmonious.
Don
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Reminds me of the time I used a bucket to empty most of the gas out of the bilge and over the side. Got some very strange looks from my neighbours.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

smacksman wrote:Reminds me of the time I used a bucket to empty most of the gas out of the bilge and over the side. Got some very strange looks from my neighbours.
Hahahahahaha! Hysterical!
How did u know when the bucket was full?
How did you know when the bucket was empty?

Buckets of propane gas.....
You guys are a riot!

Return to “General Discussion”