• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Another New Member

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
sofreemac
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: S. Freeport, ME

Another New Member

Post by sofreemac »

Hello! Joined as an appreciating Albin hopeful! Making the switch from sail to power and have my eye on several Albins in the 27-28 foot category.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Another New Member

Post by tego »

Welcome, There's a lot of us ex-sailors on the dark side now. Mostly 'cause we're too old to wrestle the sheets anymore. We just don't want to get off the water. I really like my 27AC. It's a little faster than sailing, but I can still smell the roses. Hope you find just the right vessel. Ben
sofreemac
Swabby
Swabby

Post by sofreemac »

Thanks!

Same here...trading for the "iron jib". Looking at two 27' Aft Cabins right now, and a 27' Sport Cruiser, which is like the AC, minus the cabin plus the deck. What are your thoughts on these two design approaches?

I've also heard the AC model tends to get water in the decks, bow and stern? Have you heard of any similar issues??

Will obviously get a survey first!

Thanks!

MC
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome to the form. Any of the boats you mentioned would be a good choice. We have the 27 FC have not experience any of the water issues you mentioned. For two people they are very comfortable boats to spend time on. Once we get things the way we want them, are hoping to do the Great Loop with ours.
sofreemac
Swabby
Swabby

Post by sofreemac »

Mark Deeser wrote:Welcome to the form. Any of the boats you mentioned would be a good choice. We have the 27 FC have not experience any of the water issues you mentioned. For two people they are very comfortable boats to spend time on. Once we get things the way we want them, are hoping to do the Great Loop with ours.
The Sport Cruiser has a Peninsular 300hp diesel..she has some nice specs, but I haven't heard great things about this diesel, and may not be as economical as the under 100hp diesels. We aren't "in a hurry" cruisers. Have you any info on this diesel? I'vebeen advised to avoid...
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

MC, My 27AC had solid decks fore and aft. Some of the guys had a slight problem with a spot or two but they were not a serious issue. Most vessels that had a knowledgeable owner were in excellent condition. The main concern,as usual, is the engine. There were several makes installed by Albin over the years, ranging from 60HP to 157HP. Several subsequent owners have repowered, so anything is possible. The Sport Cruiser and the 28 TE have some humongous powerplants compared to the AC model. I guess it boils down to how much fuel you want to burn, 'cause the hull is not a planing hull. I burn about 1GPH at 6.5 kts, and probably about 2 at 8 kts. If you want to go over the " magical" 11kts (where they say they're on a plane), you'll need about 100 HP and burn 5 or more GPH. We're ex-sailors so 7 to 8 kts is haulin' ass, and I don't get in a hurry anymore anyway. The other benefit is, it's pretty quiet at hull speed. I have the 78HP Nissan in mine, so I'm kinda in the middle. Keep us posted on your search. I looked at several 27's before I found the one that just felt "Right". There are several out there now. The "beast"(Peninsular) is a great engine when she's running right but lord help you if something goes wrong. They're expensive to fix and parts will cost you an arm and a leg, or maybe two. Good luck, Ben
sofreemac
Swabby
Swabby

Post by sofreemac »

tego: thanks for the info! They call the Peninsular 300 hp a "hand grenade"! We are long time sailors so 6-8 kts is just fine. There are a couple of 27 Family Cruisers in Norwalk, CT I'm interested in. One, at $20K, has a Nissan 78hp that overheats at top speed (~10-11kts?) and they think it is a heat exchanger and the elbow feeding water in to it. Aren't the Nissans hard to find parts for, and how big a deal to fix? Haven't gone to see it, but I also don't want a Project Boat. If easy to fix, I would be game for it. Still very much in the search phase, but there just aren't any other vessels out there as desirable to us as the 27 FC! Will keep you posted.
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport, RI

Post by imagine30 »

Have an 86 FC with Nissan. The last time it was WOT was when we had it surveyed 5 yrs past. I'm not surprised that it would run hot at 10-11kts but the boat is really a 7-8 kt cruising design and mine does that very well consuming about 1 gal per hr. The Nissan is a marine version of the same engine they put in cars that vintage so engine parts can be had through auto parts dealers. The heat exchanger is a marine add on and that is something else. If it has never been replaced than it is probably overdue. We have 2100 hrs on our Nissan and have not had any major issues.
J O'Brien
WHISKEY ONE
Albin 27 FC, 1986
Coasters Harbor Marina
Naval Station Newport
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

If the heat exchanger is bad (it probably just needs cleaning), then you can find about any exchanger with the same characteristics and install it. It only has to be connected to the engine by hoses. It doesn't have to bolt up to the block itself, so lots of units will work just fine. Mine is a replacement by the PO and works great. If you read a lot of the older posts on here, you'll learn a lot about the engine. They're pretty durable! My "sweet spots"are about 1800 and 2300 RPM. I haven't been at WOT since I first put her in about 2 yrs ago. Most parts are still available thru auto supply sources. Ben

Return to “New Member Introductions”