• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member in the UK

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Roger Gunkel
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Cambridge UK

New Member in the UK

Post by Roger Gunkel »

Hi all, I found this forum very recently having been an Albin 25 Owner for the last 10 years. Mine is the Motor Sailer version with bilge keels and the Volvo MD2b engine. The boat is 1974 vintage and so is the engine :?

I live about 20 miles from Cambridge in the UK and keep the Albin on a private riverside mooring. The mast and sails that came with the boat appear to be from a large sailing dinghy rather than an original Albin rig. We have sailed it with the rig, but I have been looking to replace it with something more substantial. To this end, I managed to purchase an excellent condition Macgregor 26 rig, complete with Mast, boom, virtually unused sails and full standing and running rigging. I'll spend a few months working out how best to adapt it to the Albin and hopefully be sailing it later in the Summer.

The engine has been running well until a few days ago when I lost reverse gear selection, so another headache, as I am terrified of anything to do with gearboxes, all those cogs and shafts :( I'll be asking advice in the A25 area of the forum.

I look forward to spending time on the forum and sharing and picking up information.

Roger
1974 Albin 25 Motor Sailer and 57ft Liveaboard Steel River Cruiser
Based near Cambridge UK
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: New Member in the UK

Post by Tree »

Welcome Roger. Good to see some more members here from the UK. That makes 4 of us that I know of now.

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Roger welcome to the group. It is exciting to see activity from the UK. Lots of the 25-27' owner's to help you as needed and of course to learn from you as well.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/flybridge
Tony
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gillingham UK

Post by Tony »

Hi all.
Ive been lurking on this site for a while now, also based in UK (Medway) Also have a A25 motor sailer.
Any Ideas how many A25`s in UK?
Tony
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Hi Tony. I know there are more A25's here than 28's! I'm guessing most are used on inland waterways.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

If you are doing a count guys put me down as an Albin 25 on fresh water moorings but spend most of my time in salt water on The Wash and North Sea.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Denchen. I counted you on the first count!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

Hi Tree. Think I got you sorted. I spent some time going in and out of Pompey with grey funnel steamers in ops and later was a navvy with Hovertravel. Look out my grandaughter is down there now doing oceonography at Southampton Uni.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

denchen wrote:Hi Tree. Think I got you sorted. I spent some time going in and out of Pompey with grey funnel steamers in ops and later was a navvy with Hovertravel. Look out my grandaughter is down there now doing oceonography at Southampton Uni.

Way before my time buddy although my father may have worked on them! Hovertravel is still operating and I originally wanted to study Oceanography before I became an engineer. If it wasn't for the entry qualifications needed when i applied over 19 years ago, then that would have been my vocation without a doubt.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “New Member Introductions”