• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

England to Med

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Tony
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gillingham UK

England to Med

Post by Tony »

Hi all
I am looking for a bit of insight and info. Come May, I am considering going to the Med via the the French canals and hoping to spend between 3 and 5 months there. I am confident that the A25 will handle the crossing just fine but if anyone has done a similar trip, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks
Tony
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: England to Med

Post by joreyn »

Great book for you to read, Tony. It is titled Narrow Dog to Carcassone. The author did exactly what you are planning, although on a very different boat. Just so happens that it is a hilarious read, as well as a great travelogue.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

Wow. That sounds like a great trip.

Promise you'll take lots of pictures and share your journey.
Tony
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gillingham UK

Post by Tony »

Thank you. And yes, will def be taking lotsa pics to share.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Tony,

I've not done the trip as its not something thats appealed to me or could afford but I do know people that have - I am sure it will be a trip of a lifetime for you!

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

This might be helpful!

http://europeforvisitors.com/cruises/re ... france.htm

If time and cruising kitty allow consider a slow (maybe two year) trip thru France, the canal system is wonderful and visiting the towns along the way is a great way to see the country. We had a small canal boat for several years and always had a wonderful time -- including several weeks in Paris at the Arsenal marina near the Bastille. If you're thinking about wintering the boat over in France be aware that storage can be a problem and you need to plan ahead. We used the Blanquart yard in St Jean de Losne
and were always pleased with their support

http://www.burgundy-canal.com/v/saintjeanlosne.html

One alternative would be from Paris you could go down thru the Loire valley and then take the Niverais canal up to the Burgundy canal which ends in St Jean de Losne. Winter the boat there and then go down the Soane to the Rhone to the Med.

You'll have a wonderful time whatever you decide

Jay
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Post by thomaslong »

Be prepared to go through a number of locks, at least in the Canal du Midi in SW France.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

thomaslong wrote:Be prepared to go through a number of locks, at least in the Canal du Midi in SW France.

Oh yeah, one summer we did 367 locks in a six week period. And most of them I had to work one side of the gates/valves, I ate like a pig and lost 15 pounds

Jay
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

You probably have it already, but I found the RYA publication 'European Waterways Regulations' quite a handy reference to have on board. The French are mad keen on regulations and their regulations seem to vary a lot from Belgium, Holland and Germany.
The French even asked me for my Certificate of Competency - the first time in Europe.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Several years ago we cruised the Mayenne on a Penichette 36. Fabulous trip, just wish it had last longer, but work called. French Inland Waterways delivered everything we wanted, except ice for drinks (which was at a premium - very strange). I am sure that this situation has since been resolved.
Green with envy on your planned trip. Be sure to post lots of pictures. If you need crew, with adequate arm-twisting we/I might be persuaded to hop out with a line in locks.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “General Discussion”