• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boats and why do we do it?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Boats and why do we do it?

Post by Tree »

I've just got back from the marina after swapping out one of my LED bulbs as it only had 180 degrees of angle on it instead of 225 and while standing on the roof of FP2 in a howling wind and pouring rain, I thought to myself albeit a brief moment - What the hell am I doing?

Anyway the bulb is changed and all sorted but my question is, what is the strangest thing you've found yourself doing while working on or using the boat and you had to think to yourself, why?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Boats and why do we do it?

Post by jleonard »

Too many to list, but a few that come to mind quickly:
Launching the boat in the spring....in a blinding snowstorm. Why? Because the weather was fine until the travel lift started lifting.
Getting caught in 7 foot standing waves off the NJ shore. Couldn't make any headway, had to turn around, amazed we didn't capsize.
Losing power due to air in the fuel while transiting the Harlem River against a 4 knot current..... and the main anchor didn't grab.
Running the boat during a "white squall". Luckily it was on the stern.
Oh, and then there was a hailstorm when I only had a bimini top. That was real fun.
Last but not least...one winter my tarp partially blew off the Albin in December and the boat got covered in snow and ice. We literally had to chip ice out of the walkways with a screwdriver and hammer and throw it overboard; we didn't have gloves.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Treeman »

It is nuts sometimes but, when you think about it, it's no crazier than having children and people keep doing that, too.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Mostly waiting too late in the year to put the boat away. One year the thickest fog ever and having to dead reckon to the marina far away. Another time 8 foot following seas with my 8 year old son on board. I kept saying what fun it was so he wouldn't be afraid. Also sanding bottom paint without the proper mask and goggles. Fortunately you remember the glory days more.

Return to “General Discussion”