• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

NEARLY ALBIN/ THE LONG SEARCH ENDS

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

NEARLY ALBIN/ THE LONG SEARCH ENDS

Post by whwells »

Well, many of you know the search has been for another 35te Albin Flybridge up-galley. Suffice it to say that was never going to happen with as few as 6-8 Flybridge of the series produced. What looks much like an Albin and is a sister ship in the NE? Answer a SABER.
Happy to report closing today on a 42 Saber Flybridge 2006 named Flattery. No I did not pick that name. Thought about Nibbles II but well it is more of a cruising boat than a fisher although it will do both when so equipped. She is a beauty with Up galley, twin heads, two staterooms & large flybridge and roof over the rear deck and twin Cummins 500 hp electronics. Won't be up to the NW until after Christmas but hope to post a picture at that time. Very low hours of 260 since new. Making the decision to buy other than Albin was difficult, but this has what I need which is a 2nd stateroom and holding onto the flybridge.
Expect to stay active in AOG unless I get the boot. Thinking since Rob is in his Chris Craft maybe I will still be acceptable in a Saber.
Will still attend and participate in the PNW Rendezvous group.
whwells "Howard"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: NEARLY ALBIN/ THE LONG SEARCH ENDS

Post by Tree »

Howard after seeing that Saber I mentioned to you a few weeks back I can honestly say you've made a great decision. They look a cracking boat! I'm sure you're going to enjoy it as much, if not more than the Albin.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Howard what a lovely addition to your family.Afterall you will care for just like one of the family.I had a tour of her on yacht world and she is amazing.
Be careful though when you leave her in her slip,you may wake up and find the striping missing.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I took the Yachtworld tour as well. That's a serious upgrade. What an awesome boat, totally loving that bridge.

Sure looks as good as new in those pics. Make sure those engines are up to snuff on the maintenance, most importantly the seawater side since low hours is of no help there.

Be sure to stay around AOG. It's definitely different being part of a group that you're really not part of but as you know this is a great group.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Howard - Again as expressed in our previous PM exchange - Congratulations! The Sabre line employs a great finish. You've got yourself one fine Up Galley!!!

As Rob stated: Make sure that the seawater side is up to snuff and goes through maintenance if it has not been done. Your new Sabre is a 2006 with the Cummins QSC 8.3's with 260 hours / As we've discussed, my new to me 2006 31TE has the same powerplant and had 700 plus hours and, though running within temperature spec range, the seawater side of the heat exchanger was severly blocked. When the seawater side was torn down the aftercooler had a little gum on the air side, but the seawater bundle was fine as were the bundles on the Fuel and Transmission coolers. As a heads up my heat exchanger on the genset was marginal as well and that clock showed 332 hrs.. For all to remember it's more about age than hours when it comes to the seawater cooling side with most recreational boats.
5.10.2014 HE intake blockage 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Thank you all for the fine thoughts. The boat had a full and complete Mechanical Service at Pacific Yachts in Seattle within the past 6 months. I will need to follow up on the salt/fresh water exchange. Very good advise and thank you Kevin for pointing this out as did others. The broker is delivering up for me today from Seattle to Anacortes Marina where I have moored since 2010 purchase of Nibbles.
Howard
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

In the interst of sharing and what has already been shared with Howard .. Here a couple of QSC 8.3 pics from my files:
Howard 2.jpg
Aftercooler.Transmission Cooler Zincs.jpg
Heat Exchanger Zincs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Howard, congratulations on the Sabre. What a beautiful boat. Looking forward to seeing it in Kingston for the rendezvous.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

John & Carol. Pat and I expect to be in Kingston with the PNW fine people. Apprciate your congra's. Yes, I am happy at last.
The dry spell after Nibbles was just too long.
Howard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Kevin: Thank you so much for the power plant diagrams. I know this will be helpful. What I don't quite understand is why you had to take so much off your engine (looks like a whole assembly) to clean the fresh/salt water exchange units. Can this be checked without pulling all you did or was there some to R&R for the work that could not be done without the breakdown.
I will have my mechanic check this out but wonder how far it needs to go.
Agree with you and Rob it is must to get it right. Sadly, these sort of things are not part of a mechancial survey.
Plan to talk with Pacific Yachts as to how far they went in the "Full Mechancial" but I am pretty sure they would not do the water system without some apparant need for a specific request to do so.
Howard
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Congratulations, Howard! I, too, looked at the Yachtworld listing, and she is a gorgeous boat.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Nancy, Amber, & Tree: Thank you all for the Congra's on the boat. It is not an unstatement to say it is one I had a hard time going so far out on. However, it is a pretty special series and in such nice condition and low hours to be hard pass on. Did not find any other boat with the up galley, flybridge, and 2nd stateroom that would work.
It will be lots of fun. I do want to check out the salt/fresh exchange system as recomended by Kevin and Rob. Everything else was covered in the recent complete mechanical work four months ago.
My broker took the boat up today. Just as he went into the Marina he caught a crab rope in one of the props. So even before I get there will have to get a diver out to cut it away.
Howard
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

Howard my friend, Congrats on a great boat and power package.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Slimjim: Thank you for the Congra's. Excited to get up to the boat to get my stuff on the boat and organized. However, Kevin's
experience with the Power Plant is such that checking out the fresh/water water exchange system is a priority. I went through this with the Albin. With twins it gets more expensive than a single. There are always trade offs. It has been in fresh water for the past 6 months but salt water previous to that as far as I know.
Are you doing with your 28te listing?
Howard
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Howard, I know its too late, but the boat you were looking for is now for sale on this site!!!! 35TE with the up galley and fly bridge.
Good luck with your new boat, she is quite the looker.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “General Discussion”