• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propane grill for TE 28

halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Propane grill for TE 28

Post by halfmoon »

Need to buy grill, what size/brand can you recommend? Want a unit that stows easily. Probably will use rod holder mount.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Propane grill for TE 28

Post by Pitou »

I had a propane round Magama grill on my 28 / engine box .. Party size .. It stored nicely in a Magma Sunbrella bag and I stowed it in the bilge area outboard of the stringer under the starboard side deck hatch where I had removed the in deck box. Docklines were stowed there too along with a few other odds and ends. Lots of room down there with the deck box out without disturbing engine air.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
PBK
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by PBK »

I just went through the same process. Ended up with a Weber Q1200 that I strap down to my filet table that uses a rod holder mount. Works great so far. Lots of good reviews for the Q and less expensive than a Magma. I probably would have gotten the Q1000, but I needed it quickly and the 1200 was all I could find locally.

PBK
Albin 28
Selkie
1994 28TE - I/O
"Selkie"
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

I am a big Magma fan but their kettle series is the devil's own invention. Can't control heat and will burn you and everything you put on it. I now have a Magma Catalina. Before I had a Magma Monterrey. Both are rectangular grills but should be rail mounted to work best. They are great grills.

If I were going to stow one, I would go with the Weber Q.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

seasalt wrote:I am a big Magma fan but their kettle series is the devil's own invention. Can't control heat and will burn you and everything you put on it. I now have a Magma Catalina. Before I had a Magma Monterrey. Both are rectangular grills but should be rail mounted to work best. They are great grills.

If I were going to stow one, I would go with the Weber Q.

I couldn't agree more about the Kettle Series. They only seem to have two settings "HOT" & "Off". I've many a time threatened to leave it in the trash when the boat returned to the dock.

A long while back there was talk of the infrared units as being pretty good .. Solaire grills in particular. Since that discussion Magma has come out with their own series. Is the Catalina and infrared?

Here is a link to the Solaire:
http://www.rasmussen.biz/grills/portG.html
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

We have the Solaire Everywhere. It's about 4 years now and it's great.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Pitou,

After much debate and a couple of conversations with Greg, the head of Magma, I went with the non infra red model. The infra red version gets it heating from a series of plates that lay over the burners with hundreds of tiny holes drilled in it. These holes coat over and must be cleaned often so I decided not to get that model. The regular version gets hot enough for me.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Resurrecting this topic . . .

I thought I had the grill situation figured out, but no such luck.

On our previous boat, we used a very sturdy, deep flagpole mount on the transom to receive a stainless steel rod and platform to support a rectangular grill.

The flagpole mount on the 28TE turns out to be a different angle than the one on our previous boat, and it's a much wimpier fitting. End result is that using the flagpole mount is shakier than I'd like to support a grill.

So moving on to the next possibility, I've been looking at rectangular Magma grills with a rod holder mount. However, I've discovered that the Magma rod holder mount won't position the rectangular grill over the water. I don't really want the hot grill to sit above the coaming.

Magma tells me that the only way to a rod holder mount can suspend one of their grills over the water is to use one of their round grills. But reading the earlier posts, the round grills are (let me be polite) difficult to regulate.

Do you know the song, There's a Hole in the Bucket? That's what this feels like although I haven't gone quite full circle yet.

So what grill works well and can be suspended over the water while in use? I'd prefer to stick with propane.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

It is not going to be cheap but you might consider this set up...or make it yourself.

Two Fish On Rod holder mounts.... http://www.amazon.com/Fish-On-Side-Moun ... od+holders

and two Magma Tempress Fish On Rod Holder Mount metal bars attached to two places on a rectangular grill... http://www.amazon.com/Magma-Tempress-Fi ... od+holders

I used one of these to hang a charcoal kettle over the side until the marina threw me out. I don't see why the set up could not be doubled on the bottom a rectangular gas Magma.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Nancy - I use a rectangular Magma grill with a rod holder mount. Never had any issues with it being right over the coaming, and the rod holder mount is rock solid. Are you worried about the heat from the grill?
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

jms02050 wrote:Nancy - I use a rectangular Magma grill with a rod holder mount. Never had any issues with it being right over the coaming, and the rod holder mount is rock solid. Are you worried about the heat from the grill?
Yes, I'm concerned about heat, especially with the coaming bolster right there, as well as spills and - unlikely, I know - some kind of fire accident. Am I being too cautious?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Nancy wrote:
jms02050 wrote:Nancy - I use a rectangular Magma grill with a rod holder mount. Never had any issues with it being right over the coaming, and the rod holder mount is rock solid. Are you worried about the heat from the grill?
Yes, I'm concerned about heat, especially with the coaming bolster right there, as well as spills and - unlikely, I know - some kind of fire accident. Am I being too cautious?
Using a rod holder mount, I as well, have never had an issue with heat or spills (they happen) affecting the the coaming boalster onboard the 28, 31 or for that matter any of my previous boats. Sign yourself up and start grilling! 8)

In calm waters I have seen some just put a wet towel down on top of the rear transom hatches and place free standing Magma and Solaire propane grills on top and cook withot issue.
Last edited by Pitou on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Hi. Here's a pic to give you an idea. The grill is located a lot higher than the bolster. We haven't had any issues and I leave the grill in the rod holder all season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Nancy,

We have a round Magma and have used it for four years on our 28 TE with no issues. It performed beautifully on this year's month long cruise.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Oh and we use a rod holder mount...
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”