• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28te cockpit cushions

Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

28te cockpit cushions

Post by Pete »

Does anyone have pics of the replacement cockpit bolsters,the shop in Bristol Ri , suggests bolt rope install, I'd like to see what that looks like,
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 28te cockpit cushions

Post by Capt Ron »

Here's a shot showing the bolsters I bought and installed last year from Bristol. The white plastic track is seen at the top of the bolsters. They can be removed very easily by just sliding them out of the track.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Owner of 28' TE
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Looks great.Thanks Ron.Looks like your a serious fisherman,..I have a 96 28te, Needs a new fishfinder gps combo,probably going with a Garmin 741 or 70dv, possibly in hull transducer,I'm curious what do you use?Im thinking of installing it on the helm above the wheel so I can see it from cockpit while drifting thru rips,
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

I'm using a Raymarine A-65 which I got a few years ago. It's a combo unit and am very happy with it. I'm vertically challenged so I don't have anything on the helm in front of my view. My boat has the overhead electronics box so it's mounted up there. I have no problem seeing it from the cockpit. I adapted the new unit to the original thru-hull transducer.
Owner of 28' TE
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

These look like the bolsters on my present boat. A problem with them is that the stitches on top allow water to enter and it is soaked up by the foam. It makes them heavy, allows algae to grow and when you lean against them the water comes out and wets your pants and shoes. Is there an easy fix?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Russ:
I just took delivery of a new set of combing bolsters for the Carol Marie, a 2001 28TE. The new design has addressed the water absorption issue you brought up. The new cushions have an open cell foam with a mesh backing to allow for quick drainage and drying. The support uses a rope/slot attachment vs the original aluminum bar design sewn into the back of the cushion. Bristol's standard rope/slot is vinyl but I discussed a polished aluminum slot channel/nylon rope arrangement with Oscar, Bristol Cushion's GM, and he was able to provide this arrangement for a modest price adder. I wanted the polished metal track because it has a quality look to it and it matches the attachment arrangement of the cockpit canopy to the hard top. I will take some pictures later this evening and post them tonight.
Regarding the "fix" you asked about for the original design. Here's what I did (and it worked very well for years):
-Remove the foam. If your arrangement is the same as mine, it will be wrapped in plastic.
-Remove the old plastic covering, treat to eliminate any mildue, let dry throughly and rewrap with new Saran wrap (or any other good plastic that won't make a crinkling noise when you lean against the cushions).
-Spray the interior of the vinyl covers to eliminate any mildue; let dry throughly and treat all seams with a quality seam sealer.
My old bolsters never got wet again; I'm replacing them because the vinyl simply wore out.
Will get photos out soon.
Don.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Thanks Don that is very useful information. I have them apart and dry but a previous owner must have removed the plastic covering if there ever was any. I have Saran wrap but thought I might check around for plastic tubing I could cut to length. Sealing the seams will also make a big difference if it keeps the water out in the first place.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

The seam sealer will work; turn the vinyl cover inside out to do. Also you might consider using a clear window shrink wrap. Will try to get photos of new design out tonight.
Don.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Just to add my £0.02p worth here. We don't normally see these cushions on boats here so I couldn't really offer a solution, but the cushions we have on FP have drains in the bottoms. They have a beaded edge that runs in an aluminium Channelfor easy removal but they have small drains in the underside. During the summer we don't have a huge amount of rain on the south coast but come autumn time we do, so far I can't say that water in them has been a problem.

I'm on the boat tomorrow fishing into the night for some cod, if I remember I'll take some photos of the arrangement and post them up for you.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

*hopefully that made sense, trying to read what you've previously written on a iPhone small screen can be an issue!*
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Russ:
Here are the photos of the new combing bolsters for the 28TE. The standard attachment method includes a vinyl channel/rope construction. Oscar, GM at Bristol Cushion agreed to substitute (at a modest price increase), the polished aluminum channel and nylon rope shown (Matches the arrangement I have for the cockpit canopy/hard top connection.)
Don.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Don, that's the same configuration as mine. I've attached a picture of the drain (well hopefully it comes out as its dark here now!)

I'll get a better picture another day when I'm not fishing.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Thanks Don and Tree, I found a 4 mil poly tubing that would be ideal but only available in industrial amounts. 4 mil plastic sheets are available at Lowes and that would be stronger than Saran wrap. I never used shrink wrap. Does that seal itself with heat like the wrap that butchers use?
That drain looks like a grommet and that would be an easy fix but some kind of plastic wrap is the key because the sponge cushions soak up the water, not allowing it to drain until you lean on it.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Russ:
Don't obsess on the kind of wrap. The Saran wrap type of plastic is thin and yet very flexible. It really doesn't need to be unduly strong. Try it and see how long it lasts; once you seal the seams there will be minimal water intrusion so you will likely get good service out of it like I did. Besides, it's a cheap and easy fix that can be redone every couple of years or so if needed.
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Don, Did you just tell Bristol you had a 28 te? Or did you need to give them sizes?Do you have the tan color deck?Im assuming they are all same color.i have the green hull, tan deck etc, Pete,

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”