• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pantographic Wiper Installation Project

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Re: Pantographic Wiper Installation Project

Post by slimjim »

Chris and Jims thanks! Chris, I just did all 3 of mine and it was a true PIA. I did in fact have to saw the shafts off. I changed the motors as well.

To get the right angle you will have to take the back plate off the motor and angle the plates in the back to the right number that's on your old one. It will show you how to do it. I have to set mine at 100 from 80.

Also its best to have someone help when doing the wiper angle install so one of you is outside with the wiper and the other is inside. Have fun and take your time. You will need a 6 pack after you are done. :mrgreen:
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

slimjim wrote:You will need a 6 pack after you are done. :mrgreen:
I'm thinking more of a Keg if I am honest!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Tree....I was so hoping that you and any others reading this post would have picked up on my comment under removing the old wiper blades..."In fact, unless they just pop right off, get out your dremmel and get on to the install." Guess I should have Bold, Underline, All CAPS it so it would have stood out. Hate that anyone would have gone thru what I did to come to the same end...cut it! The rest should be a lot easier! Good Luck
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Chris, the problem is I am a precision engineer and I take the approach to doing things the correct way which isn't always the easiest. I engineered special pullers for the job etc thinking that would do the job. Wrong!

I'm hitting it with a dremel some point today! I may as well get a good technique now as I've got another three to do for my buddy!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

All done. I'll set the stop location another day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Tree:
My "helper" arm has an adjustment to vary its length. After a very slight adjustment the wiper parks perfectly next to the frame. I couldn't tell from your photo whether or not your arms have a length adjustment provision.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

They're probably identical to yours as they are Marinco arms. The setting is inside the motor. The wipers have always parked in the centre. In fact two of the three boats here are the same. I know how to set it but didn't want to be messing about taking the motors off at the moment with the rain showers. This will get us through the winter storms and rain for the time being then I will do a proper adjustment when I can sit up on the foredeck knowing I'm not going to get rained on!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Tree - yeah, I work at a nuclear power plant writing procedures operators use to run it, so I understand the thinking. Read my post on A Screen Door in this Maintenance thread. Thus the dremel. LOL Whatever it takes. And I vote for a few pints of Guinness Stout!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Interestingly, I've just changed my buddies wipers over on his 2005 28 and was able to complete the job in about an hour and a half. What I did notice is the wiper motors are fitted upside down and he has a better sweep except for the centre window.

Pretty sure the windows on later boats are smaller if anyone can confirm that's why they are fitted the way they are and why the sweep is better?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Tree:
I'm somewhat confused by some of you comments. Why would the factory intentionally ship the boat with the blades that "park" in the middle of the windscreen? It does't make any sense to me. Also what do you mean when you say your buddy's motors are mounted upside down? Again, sounds a bit weird.
Don.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Don, mine have the AFI logo upright yet my buddies motors have the logo upside down and the mounting screw to the opposite side. One other thing I noticed is the length of his wiper shaft is almost 1.5" longer which I though would be an issue. His previous boat Jodi T that Porchylad now owns has the wipers set up the same as FP and they also park in the middle. As FP and Jodi T are just 9 boats apart I wonder if they had the Saturday guy fit the wipers!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I intend to perform the same task over the winter or early spring. However, I found that the standard marine wiper blades were ineffective. I picked up a coupe of Rain X auto wiper blades, which are heavier duty and with a little up an down, left and right, they fit.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Albin Maintenance”