• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

On Board Tool Set & Spares

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: On Board Tool Set & Spares

Post by jleonard »

I would add
Wire terminal kit and crimpers
Rechargeable led light (better than a reg battery flashlight)
Inspection mirror
Spare fluid for the steering helm
Manuals if available
Jumper cables
1quart or gallon of fresh clean diesel (in case you need to top off the Racor)
An small plastic bucket and empty container in case you need to change fuel filters
Appropriate sized funnel(s)
WD40 or your equivalent
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Spare fluid for the steering helm
And a clean ketchup/mustard squeeze bottle for filling.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Now that's a great idea, never thought of that!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Petersburg, FL

Post by Farmer38 »

Thanks! I've added these to the list. Excellent.
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

With all of these recommended spare parts we will probably need one of those travel containers that cars have on their roof racks. I had to make up a diagram of Serenity of where I store everything. There is no point to have all of these spares and not knowing where they are in an emergency or just maintenance while cruising.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Awhile ago (OK a LONG time) ago I wrote this article -- skewed a bit toward sailing since that is what I was doing at the time but I thought it might be of interest

The “‘thout which” bag -- what did I ever do without it?

Where is that crescent wrench? A while ago, I would have looked in the tool box, the “junk drawer," the ready shelf next to the companionway, and the chart table. Even though I have the best intentions, somehow, the tools end up exactly where they are the hardest to find.

Perhaps the worst thing to do is to consolidate all your tools in one box. Then, when you need something for a small job, the first task is to extricate the tool box from the bottom of the sail locker. You are in a bad mood when you have to start that “quick” maintenance job because you have spent 15 minutes just digging out the tools. I kept all my tools in a box stowed in the cockpit locker. Even though it was a bit of a job to get to the tool box, I at least knew where all the tools were located.

Stop and think about it. Most of the jobs on a boat are quick little ones. That is, they would be if you took care of them when you noticed a problem. But, the tool box is hard to get to, so you decide to let it ride until there is time for a maintenance day. And there will be. That little job will, due to inattention, grow into a big one, and you certainly will need the “big” tool box.

One day I was drinking coffee in a friend’s cockpit when he noticed a loose bolt on his binnacle guard. “Hand me the ‘thout which bag,” he said; noticing my quizzical expression he pointed, “that little duffel up under the dodger.” When I passed him the bag he explained that it was the bag “without which” he could not sail the boat!

Watching him reach into the bag and quickly locating a crescent wrench, it was clear that he had a really great idea. His bag was a mini duffel, 10” long, 4” in diameter, with a zipper along the side providing easy access to the entire bag. It held a carefully selected group of frequently used tools and gear for the boat’s day -to-day operation. “I don’t have any excuses for not fixing something when I see it needs some attention,” he said. “And, I don’t have to look all over for my tools. When we are in port I leave the bag under the dodger. When we are at sea it rides on a shelf right next to the chart table."

Back aboard, I quickly assembled my own bag, and banished the rest of my tools to the sail locker, for those “big” repair jobs that inevitably arise. Over time, I have added and removed a few items, but I have found that this little collection takes care of most of the ongoing maintenance tasks I encounter.

Screwdrivers - a small and medium bit version of both a straight and Phillips head
Tube of silicon sealant
Tube of Teflon lubricant
Roll of electrician’s tape
Roll of white riggers tape
Folding knife
Putty knife
Set of hex head wrenches
Small crescent wrench
Roll of whipping line
Medium vice grips
Can of Corrosion Block™
Deck key
Disposable cigarette lighter

My little bag lives right by the companionway ladder. I can reach down from the cockpit and grab it easily. Best of all, this was an improvement that cost almost nothing; just the bag to hold the tools; everything else was on board. Having your own ‘thout which bag will not only save you time, but assembling it will help you assess the necessity of the tools you have on board. You may realize that you have some duplicates, and can lighten your tool box in the process.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”