• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2003 Albin 28TE Flush Deck Opinions

Loris
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Mystic

2003 Albin 28TE Flush Deck Opinions

Post by Loris »

Hello,

I just spoke to an owner of a Albin 28TE flush deck who is planning to sell his boat here in the Rhode Island area. It is one of the earlier flush deck models (2002/2003?).

I have seen mixed opinions on the web about this particular model. Some concerns that were raised were that there were many bugs in the flush deck model that were only worked out by 2006. Unfortunately, nobody said what the bugs were.

Another concern was that the level of the turbo on the Yanmar was the same height as the exhaust. Someone mentioned that this was poor design that could cause the engine to fail at any time.

Was the model of Yanmar that went into the boat the 300 or 315 hp?

How can one tell by inspecting the boat if it has a balsa or synthetic core?

I have no experience with diesel engines and would really appreciate it if you could comment about some of these issues. I have money set aside for routine maintenance but will not be able to afford a major repair to the engine.

I understand that every boat is a compromise but would be very grateful for some frank opinions about the pros and cons of this particular Albin 28TE configuration.

When surveying the engine is there anything that I should ask the mechanic to take a look at in particular?

Thanks in advance for your time and input
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: 2003 Albin 28TE Flush Deck Opinions

Post by eseyoung »

I am not sure what bugs they had. i have never read about any thing bad as far as construction in any years. the possible expectation is that I have heard that late in production they had several cases of hull blisters. Not a epidemic but a few cases. Where ever i read this (i have done a ton of reading) they blamed it on the factory getting sloppy because they were closing.

a 2002 should have the 315HP...all coring was done with synthetic (airex) from 2000 till the end of the production. i have NOT ONCE read about a Yanmar failure, i'll stop short of saying they are bullet proof but they are an measurable improvement from the Beast.

as far as i know (based on asking price) this is the most desirable configuration.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I've owned my 2003 Flush Deck 28 since new in the Spring of '03. I was offered the very first flush deck but decided to wait a year to see how it worked out. I believe that mine was the fourth or fifth flush deck produced. As for issues with the flush deck ... the only issues I had that were unique to the flush deck model were (a) the drain for the large center box was plumbed up hill and never drained. After several letters and threats, a retrofit drain system was added along with a new thru hull to allow the drains to function. (b) Under power turning sharply cause the boat to cavitate and handle poorly. Albin cut down my rudder to a much smaller size and the change was immediately evident. She turns well to both port and starboard even at speed.

In the year following my flush deck, Albin began producing Ver 2 of the flush deck. They raised the deck so that the step between the pilothouse and the cockpit disappeared. I really dislike this change because it brings the gunnel height down to hitting me around the knees. The combing pads hit me right about mid thigh on mine. Very comfortable when fighting a fish.

I have been on both the flush deck and engine box models. I believe they do handle slightly different ... noticeable in a following sea. The engine box model engine location appears to minimize bow stear. The flush deck gets pushed around a little more. I've had her out in awful conditions and never felt that it was a major issue for me. Just different.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, send me a pm and I'd be glad to talk.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

One thing that is noticeable with the flush deck is the engine area suffers far less with the elements. But as a result of this maintenance on the engine is a bit more difficult and also you lose 9" off the second berth as a result of the engines location.

There are pros and cons with both boats. I personally have an engine box model and I am very happy with the configuration.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Loris
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Mystic

Post by Loris »

Thank you all very much for the helpful replies. JackK, I will take you up on your offer of to send you a PM.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”