• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Window Frame Removal

Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego

Window Frame Removal

Post by Mike Loper »

I have a 2005 28 TE and am beginning to see some corrosion on the lower, aft section of the port and starboard frames. The frames appear to be aluminum. My questions are:

How are the frames removed for maintenance?
How is access to the forward most screws accomplished?
Will removing the interior SS screws allow me to split the inner and outer frames and remove for powder coating?

I have spent the last several hours reading through the threads regarding windows, but can find no specific post regarding the process to remove the forward most SS Phillips head screws accessible from the inside of the wheelhouse. I can certainly paint the frames instead of powder coating them, but I would like to know how to remove the frames for additional maintenance such as window or gasket replacement, or to recaulk and bed the frame area. I'm certain someone has addressed this issue and would certainly appreciate the advice.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Window Frame Removal

Post by Tree »

I'm afraid I can't help as I know that the window frames on a 2005 boat are different to a 2000 boat but I do know a man who can help. He had to replace a window this summer on his 2005 boat and had the frames removed and broken glass out in under 30 minutes. I'll speak to him tomorrow and come back to you, unless someone else can offer up some assistance in the time being.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Loper »

Great, thanks for the quick response. I look forward to hearing from you.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I have just spoken with my Buddy and he says he didn't remove the frames, only the windows. What he did say was if you look down the side of the helm console, there isn't any screws on the internal side of the window that you cannot access.

Sorry I can't be of more help!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Loper »

Unfortunately, there are SS Phillips head screws at the inside, forward edge of the window frames on the port and starboard sides of the helm and passenger consoles. These are the ones I was referring to in my original note. All others are quite accessible. Appreciate you taking the time to find out some info for me.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

I did remove the port window on my 28. The screws that you are concern with were not screwed into anything, just there for looks. There was silicon under the frame, once removed the window came out easily. It was out in about 2 hours.

The frames are powder coated. So you will need to find someone that can deal with that, or go with a different paint solution.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Loper »

Great...thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Much appreciated.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”