• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

PORTLAND, MAINE MARINE SURVEY & SHIPPING INFORMATION.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

PORTLAND, MAINE MARINE SURVEY & SHIPPING INFORMATION.

Post by whwells »

There is a 36 Albin Express Trawler that I am attempting to purchase. The boat is already on the dry for the winter. I need a really good Surveyor and Capt. who can take the boat to likely Boston where it can be shipped through the canal and around to Vancouver, Canada. Any members's out that way who can help me locate such a person. Has anyone around the area had experience with ocean shipping. Do not want to remove the flybridge if it can be avoided. Time is of the essence.
whwells "Howard"
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Re: PORTLAND, MAINE MARINE SURVEY & SHIPPING INFORMATION.

Post by seasalt »

Howard,

I emailed your needs to a friend who lives in my neighborhood. He is a boater and spent his entire working career in Portland. Will let you know what he says.

Ron
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Howard,

My friend Bruce Tompkins says his former maritime law partners might know ..." John McDonough (603) 430-6024 (W) or (603) 303-4104 (C)), or Neil Rosen ((508) 965-4905 (cell), or (207) 775-7933 (W).

Ron
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
djblackwood
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingston, Ontario

Post by djblackwood »

I've used Brian Brailsford, Brailsford Marine Surveying, 106 Ocean Point Road, Boothbay Harbor, Maine 04538, 207-350-0326, brailsfordmarinesurvey@yahoo.com, for my survey (he's near Portland) and would recommend him. But I don't think he does deliveries though.
D. J. Blackwood
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Kingston, Ontario
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Thanks All: A Capt. is no longer in issue. It turns out the nearest freighter shipping port is Florida for boats bound for BC, Canada. That won't work.
We are now looking at whether the flybridge has to come off. That won't work for me. These have been shipped pretty much everywhere w/o removal of the bridge. However, it seems getting outo f the New England area is a problem w/o flybridge R&R.
Well, should hear something very soon.
Like most used boats it is not without issues. There is no flooring covering. Broker seems to think it was ordered that way. Most had teak floors and a few carpet but first I have seen bare, There is no bow thruster which is nice even with twins in a little wind.
The Yanmar's have never had the timing belts changed. That is a pretty major expense. Been there and done that already with the twin 315 Yanmars.
Boat is already winter prepared so a sea trial will be expensive to get it to the water.
It is never easy.
whwells "Howard"
Last edited by whwells on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Flybridge removal was the deal breaker for me when I was considering a 36 that was in Michigan.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Shipper won't except w/o bridge removal. Funny Jack Pady @ Pady Marine tells me he took possession of a new one at Tronoto show with bridge intact & then it shipped to Florida with Bridge intact. Don't know how got to TO.
Well, waiting to look at all the costs. Transport is big number even before Bridge R&R and that is large number as well. Also a cage would have to be built to hold the flybridge,
Bummer I really thought it would ship w/o removal.
whwells "Howard"
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Howard,

I was browsing the Trawler Forum a few minutes ago and there is a post by a user called DaddyO saying that he left Southwest Harbor, ME this morning headed for Ft. Lauderdale.

I have made that trip in late Fall and if you pick your days around the cold fronts it is a great trip.

I know that you have considered this option, but just sayin'...

Ron
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Boat head
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Hallieford Va

Post by Boat head »

Here is more salt in the wounds Howard,the motors have not had the factory retrofit regarding braking valve stems. To get it out by road legally the bridge has to come off. Transport on its own bottom is the only way, before that the upgrade and timing belt change would need to be done to insure reliability.Approx.$4k ! The weather window is closing rapidly.My offer was just shy of the full asking price and the seller knocked it back so he can stick it where the sun don't shine.
Good luck hope this info. Helps you make a logical decision .
Carl
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Boathead: You should make a serious effort to get the boat. It has only 500 hours and is on the dry all winter. Broker tells me they will do the timing belts this week. Today was decision day for me. Really wanted to make it work but just not feasible You can run down the coast and save 25,000. over me.
My transport was 16,000 then next 20,000. and much to my shock 6,000 to R&R Bridge for shipment. Would be looking at similar numbers in the NW to reinstall. My last boat was 5,000 R&R plus 500. for the custom crate to haul it but the bridge is much larger on these boats.

This has to be the cleanest least hours you will find. Wish I were close enough to make it happen. You should move out because it is a rare boat.

Explain the breaking valve stems. Is this for the new fuel. Engines don't seem that old to me.

whwells "Howard"
Boat head
Mate
Mate

Post by Boat head »

Early Yanmar 6 bangers were time bombs due to valves locking open and pistons crashing them. Class action suit, many units replaced. Well documented fact. The Clapperboard Lady's engines are in the series that need the retrofit. Without the fix the engines can fail at any time without warning. none ! Parts and labor to fix both approx.$2500.
The boat probably was little used but may have had major issued overlooked, the fore mentioned and the extensive water damage caused by a well known drainage problem.

Can you tell me anything about the hull#4 boat inFlorida, he does'nt seem very motivated. Much rougher boat but better engines.

I can only go for twins because I need a shallow draft to get on my dock.
The Yarmouth boat is owned by a member of the 1% .He has a nice little video online about Clapperboard Island that he is also selling.
Cheers Carl
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Boathead: The Florida boat looks really nice in the pictures. However, one of our member's there told me to watch out for east coast boats as having lots of salt exposure.
Did this boat have same engines - early Yanmars?
Howard
Boat head
Mate
Mate

Post by Boat head »

Cummins not Yanmars, draft is 3'8". Cummins 1000 lbs heavier per engine. Saltwater is saltwater east or west coast. Neglect red flags all over this one. Price is too high per condition .Owner not motivated.
I am moving on to other brands, big time researching trawlers in general. Good luck on your quest, the 36Et is a nice rig but not the Holly Grail for me.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Boat head wrote:Early Yanmar 6 bangers were time bombs due to valves locking open and pistons crashing them. Class action suit, many units replaced. Well documented fact. The Clapperboard Lady's engines are in the series that need the retrofit. Without the fix the engines can fail at any time without warning. none ! Parts and labor to fix both approx.$2500.
The boat probably was little used but may have had major issued overlooked, the fore mentioned and the extensive water damage caused by a well known drainage problem.

The Yarmouth boat is owned by a member of the 1% .He has a nice little video online about Clapperboard Island that he is also selling.
Cheers Carl
Not a big deal if the valve work gets done. Lots of AOG members have dealt with this and have enjoyed trouble free hours as a result. There has been a lot of discussion on AOG over the years. No horror stories for those that deal with it. With proper documentation I'm sure that this can be negotiated into the sale by having the seller completing the work or off of the price.

The drainage issue seems to be prevelant on the 36 ET and owners have discussed this on the ET Forum. Start a thread on some fixes and how to take care of this. Something tells me it's more about keeping the upper drains clear. On Clapboard Lady the evidence is clearly there in the online YachtWorld listing pictures. I'd use this to gain some strong negotiation.

Any boat with this marine age will also need the raw water side of the engines serviced as well X 2 engines .. again no big deal, but necessary.

I love the 1% club .. they're usually easier to negotiate with and are more flexible!

Love that house on Clapboard Island .. a brief view of the ET at about 34 / 40 seconds .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3CFhpUohP8

Sorry for you Howard that the boat is too far for ypou making transportation problematic. keep on looking!!!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Boat head
Mate
Mate

Post by Boat head »

Valve guide fix both engines $3300 in Yarmouth. The seller turned his nose up at an offer of $120k. He wanted full price $124,500. Neither he or his broker were aware of prior mentioned engine issues.Yes the retro fix is a successful cure for an otherwise catastrophic problem. I wanted the boat and the offer was made the day it listed ,neither my broker or the sellers broker could believe the deal didn't happen.
Now he has snow sitting on it he might be ready to get real.Perhaps someone else can benefit at this stage in the game.
Same engine work done in Virginia -$2200. Boat can only be moved by water unless you pull the bridge, so they have you.
In the event you wish to sea trial and the sale does not complete you have to shoulder the cost of shrink wrap .
Good luck, reasonable person to deal with I think not! I would not want to be this guy's broker .
There you have it folks.
Last edited by Boat head on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”