• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fish finder /gps location

Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Fish finder /gps location

Post by Pete »

My 28te needs a new unit, anyone mount it on the helm above the wheel? I need to see it from cockpit while drift fishing,Anyone have a garmin 70dv or similar?
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Re: Fish finder /gps location

Post by MadMoney »

I put a Garmin 4212 on top the dash where my old Raytheon unit was installed. I'm tall enough so I can see over it during cruising without any issues and I can see it from the cockpit when fishing.
Mark C
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Kalama Washington

Post by Mark C »

Pete, I just put a secondary GPS/Sonar unit in my 2005 28TE Little Bear. I purchased a Garmin 741XS and mounted it above the center window. I had to move the clock and barometer outward about 1.5 inches. I was able to run all cables in the windshield wire run, but I ran the cables on the port side (sonar & power ). the install look very clean, and I kept the original Raymarine C120 in the dash. I also had a beer with the owner of Mad Money in Ilwaco at the Lamplighter this last August.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

chartplotter.jpg
I had a Garmin Chartplotter/fishfinder 546s installed above the helm 2 years ago. Instead of having it mounted on the ceiling of the pilothouse, the installer talked me into putting it more line of sight, above the helm. I got used to it right away and like it more. One thing that I should have considered is that it's a lot of metal to put so close to your compass, which distorts the reading somewhat. I have a picture of the mounting location and another of the transponder in the bilge which did not require poking a hole in the hull, which I hate to do.
I will have to send the other one separately. The site isn't allowing a second photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Here is the second photo.
Sorry - not accepted. transponder.jpg => The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 5 MiB.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jack wrote:...One thing that I should have considered is that it's a lot of metal to put so close to your compass, which distorts the reading somewhat...
That's what you would hope an installer would be aware of. All electronics list the "Compass Safe Distance" in the specs in the install manual. It's definitely more than 12" on a unit like that..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”