• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

front main seal on 6lp

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

front main seal on 6lp

Post by special k »

having timing belt replaced and a few other maintenance repairs. discovered the source of the oil in my bilge is the front main seal. while i am using my local yanmar authorized mechanic service, they say to do the front seal requires lifting the motor out for access. just want to know if anyone here has had to replace this seal and if they lifted/removed their engine. they are also thinking my engine removal involves pulling the prop shaft, which makes a need to be on shore to do this whole process.

i'm interested in hearing what you guys think and your experiences. i should add the boat is a 2002 28te

cheers!
elad

Re: front main seal on 6lp

Post by elad »

I had both the timing belt and front main seal replaced while the engine was out. Mine is a 2000 28 TE with Yanmar 6LP-STE with 1,280 hrs. Mechanic recommended pulling the engine mainly because of poor access to the timing belt. But also because I also wanted the timing belt idler replaced, all hoses and belts replaced, all heat exchangers acid washed and leak tested, a new raw water pump with bolts replacing the studs and replace the mixing elbow and riser with a single 316SS custom piece. I also wanted all rust and corrosion removed and the engine painted as well as paint the bilge. Overall cost was approximately $12K. I say approximate because I don't really want to know the actual total. Definitely don't want the wife to know.

Yes, the prop shaft needs to be pulled if the engine is to be removed. Actually only need to pull it out past the transmission but while you are that far might as well pull it out fully and have the shaft straightened if necessary, replace the cutlass bearing, re-bed the cutlass housing and have the prop balanced. When my straight and balanced shaft went back in the engine had to be realigned with the aft mounts moving more than 1" to get proper alignment. But I could turn it by hand when all done.

Yes, it is a lot of work but now I can rest easier knowing that my Yanmar will not be scheduling it's own maintenance for a good long time.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Re: front main seal on 6lp

Post by Maye Marie »

2002 28T
Have not done a crank shaft front seal. My guess is you would not be able to get the front pulley off. Your going to need a puller for that and not enough room between tank and front of engine. So I could see you pulling engine for that portion of Job.

If some one is doing timing belt maintenance no need to pull the engine. Last winter I replaced timing belt, Idler and timing gears. It is not a bad job at all. Cut down a socket for your front pulley bolt, so you can rotate your motor and you are there.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”