• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stainless? Not so much

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Stainless? Not so much

Post by Jay Knoll »

I bought some stainless steel snaps/studs from Amazon to attach some sun screen panels to the hardtop of our 27FC. Put them on in early May, but the time we returned from our shakedown cruise in early June they were already starting to show rust. We didn't even poke our noses out into the ocean, just putted along the ICW! They are in really bad shape now and we've had the rainiest summer in a long time in FL.

So not wanting to repeat the mistake again, what recommendations do you have for a good supplier?

Thanks

Jay
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Re: Stainless? Not so much

Post by tego »

Jay, I've had the same problem, so went to the expert-the canvas man. He was a friend and did a lot of the megayacht canvas in the yard. He said that most of the hardware sold by the stores was 304 or worse. To get genuine 316L ss was difficult so he gave me enough of the snap assemblies to do my boat. I'd recommend going to a good canvas man to ask where he gets his hardware-since his reputation rests on his work and product. Ben

Return to “Albin Maintenance”