• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar oil

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Medford, MA

Yanmar oil

Post by tshug »

Need to change the oil & filter on my Yanmar 6LPA-STP. I´ve seen some comments on Shell Rotella T 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel oil being used on Cummins and wanted to check if anyone has used it on their Yanmar. I can get it at Walmart for 12.77/gal. Yanmar dealers are selling their 15W-40 for $25.00/gal and filter for $25.00!!
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Yanmar oil

Post by eseyoung »

Rotella is fine. Is what the Yanmar dealer pushing synthetic or conventional?

If they spec synthetic there is a synthetic Rotella.
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

The Yanmar dealer was quoting non-synthetic. I think I'm going with the Rotella T. The dealer also sells it, but at $21.00/gal. Walmart has it for 12.77/gal.

The previous owners boat yard was using Valvoline SAE30 not the 15w-40 Yanmar recommends. Is there any problem with using 15w-40 now? I bought the Albin with 240 hours on it and it now has 325 hours.
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by eseyoung »

No problem switching to the manufacture recommended weight.

In all likelihood whats in the Yanmar jug is either Rotella or Delvac but in a nicer jug.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by eseyoung »

I will add when purchasing oil anywhere make sure it is sealed. I got a one gallon jug for make up oil in my truck at a chain autoparts store and never checked it. When i went to use it a week or so later i got it out of my tool box, opened it up and realized that someone had already beat me to using it.

It was full of used motor oil. I'd hope that someone brought old back for recycling and it got put on the shelf by mistake. if thats not the case someone just returned used oil for a refund!?!?!
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Thanks again. I just checked the jugs and they were all sealed!
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Walmart for Rotella T15W-40 at about $12 is what I've been doing for 7 years. Never an issue.
Make sure it's warm/hot before you attempt to pump out.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Have used Delo 400 20-40 in all my boats and former motorhomes for years. Only great results and prices are good. Costco sells by the case.
whwells "Howard"
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Since my Yanmar has 378 hours and have used nothing but Yanmar oil, would there be an issue from switching to Rotella synthetic. I have read sometimes on an older engine, you want to cautious about using a detergent oil. I have used synthetic in my F150 and the brides Nissan Rogue.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Check with Mack-Boring Tech Support. Several years ago, they discouraged me from switching from Dino Rotella 15W-40 to Synthetic.
I would probably never go over 100-125 hrs. per season. What would be the benefit? Last longer? Diesels's do,that pretty well on Dino oil.
Synthetic is just about twice the cost.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

excellent point about the hours. Same here.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

For some reason Yanmar does or did discourage the use of Synthetic oils. In fact my Yanmar literature states that the Warranty is void if it is used. Of course that is over with, but I have had zero issues with the Rotella, and have used it since it was new.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

If I have got it right, we have to be careful if using the latest spec Fully Synthetic oils as you must use special oil filters because the oil will `eat` a normal filter. Just my understanding as it applies to Mercedes cars.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

eseyoung wrote:I will add when purchasing oil anywhere make sure it is sealed. I got a one gallon jug for make up oil in my truck at a chain autoparts store and never checked it. When i went to use it a week or so later i got it out of my tool box, opened it up and realized that someone had already beat me to using it.

It was full of used motor oil. I'd hope that someone brought old back for recycling and it got put on the shelf by mistake. if thats not the case someone just returned used oil for a refund!?!?!
Delvac has a seal/pull ring that will let you know if it has been opened, and a handy resealable pour spout. Cat recommended. (Also I own Exxon-Mobil stock). Engine branded oils are a rip-off...as long as it meets specs it's okay. Your engine will die from some other cause.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”