• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Where to store life vests

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Coastalrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chesapeake MD

Where to store life vests

Post by Coastalrunner »

I got my 28TE today, gave her a good clean and bean to stow the essentials.

I normally carry at least 6 vests, 4 offshore. I noticed storage for them is limited. As a matter of fact I don't know where to put them.

Where do others store there vests?
1996 Albin 28 TE
Cummins 330
Summer Breeze

1977 Seavee 25 CC
Cummins 370
Classic V
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Where to store life vests

Post by Tree »

I keep mine in the hanging locker while we are not using them. We have slim fit style ones with auto inflate. The ones Albin supply are kept in the starboard side locker next to the drying locker.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The stowage of life vests and other equipment is always a compromise. I carry four Type I vests and two Mustang inflatables.

On the 28, one Type I went on each of the pilot house chairs / one went on the helm seat and one for the companion seat. The other two were stowed neatly below in the quarter berth. The two inflatables were stowed in a box below deck beneath the starboard cockpit hatch on my engine box model. These were used for running around in the RIB. There is a lot of room down there if you remove the Albin drop in plastic box. When more guests were aboard a couple of Type 3's would be temporarily added to the collection.

Each of my Type I's have a whistle and a strobe attached / the admiral had a pair of perscription RX swim goggles made and those are stowed in a small bag to her vest.

Hopefully no one ever needs this equipment!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

You can store them where you like but when you are using the boat they need to be readily available. I remember several years back reading a complaint by someone that received a ticket from the Coast Guard because their vests were zipped up inside one of those storage containers specifically sold for and labeled Life Vests. I usually have ours sitting on the V-berth and have been inspected with no problem.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

We bent three battens of 3/8" x 1" hemlock baseboard material, across the overhead to give about 2-3" room, just enough for inflatables. About 6 will fit across the cabin top that way. One hot summer day we did have one vest self-inflate, but that was the only issue.

If I remember right, inflatable vests need to be worn if you expect the Coast Guard to include them in your inventory. My crew and guests always refused to wear them, so I ended up with several of those "Life Vests" containers taking up cabin space.

Like everything else the Coast Guard is authorized to inspect, life vests are a profit center, and the rules for whether or not they generate a fine appear to depend largely upon how the OIC's day has been going. Washington State's many ferries mostly stow their vests out of sight under the seats and I never heard of them getting dinged for that. I'd imagine that lifting a seat cushion to get to the vests would be just as difficult as unzipping a cloth box, but I don't think I'd argue that face to face with an armed person who could lock me up.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

We have a total of 6 inflatable PFD's, 2 Hydrostatic, and 4 others, plus another 8 "orange" type 2's. The type 2's are stored under the dining seating. 4 on one side, 4 on the other. They are rarely brought out except when we have a large crowd.
The 2 Mustang Hydrostatics won't deploy unless submerged 4" or manually triggered. They are worn after stepping aboard, by my wife and I.
The other 4 inflatables are belt pack types. Easy to stores, and manually activated.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha

Return to “General Discussion”