• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin Surveyor

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Petersburg, FL

Albin Surveyor

Post by Farmer38 »

Hi all,

Newbie here!

I've been in the market for a boat for some time and have become rather passionate about Albin's, if just from my research. Went and visited two 32 2's on the market today and my suspicions that this model would suit my needs was all but cemented. Only years on board will confirm I suppose.

I'm looking for suggestions for surveyors in the Jacksonville area (my home port is St. Pete) but most importantly I'm looking for suggestions on how to interview prospective surveyors. I need this person looking out for my best interests...

I've got a bit of boating in my background, but this will be my first inboard ownership experience. Do I need to spring for a mechanic to really survey the engine with nearly 2000 hrs and 14 years on her?

Any other purchasing suggestions I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
W David
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Belfast, ME

Re: Albin Surveyor

Post by W David »

I am a marine surveyor located in Florida.
If you would like to email me I will try to answer questions.
David wdmckie@gmail.com
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Post by flyboyjack »

Hi Jim,
having just gone thru this surveyor process less than a year ago, I have come up with some things/ a list that I would do differently as so far the ineptness of my surveyors have put me past the 10 boat unit costs. (And we all know a boat unit is $1000.00). I would most certainly interview and ask in great detail about their thoroughness and KNOWLEDGE of Albin boats and specifically your model. Don't just let them power up the generator or the head to see if the macerator "powers up", etc.. Make sure it functions as it should. Test all systems fully, (electrical and mechanical). Nothing should ever be assessed as powers up or looks/sounds OK. Make sure it works. I would even test the canvas for waterproofing. Ours wasn't even addressed and on our transit home during a cold, rainy January day, we found it rained inside as well as outside! Make sure the stuffing box is sound and adjusted properly. If you're paying for electronics make sure they function. Check all raw water shutoffs are sound and functioning,... cycle them. Have all filters, etc checked and/or serviced as well as looking for checked/cracked hoses. The 32/2's are great boats,... just remember that the aft section of the motor and even more specifically the turbo, if this is a Cummins 6BTA powered vessel, is all but inaccessible. Take a good look at the batteries,...test them for condition and strength.

I would also ask about the surveyor being bonded should overlooked items that shouldn't have been overlooked cost several "boat units" for repair. If they are unwilling to stand financially behind their inspections/recommendations, but are willing to still take your money, ..I'd find someone else.

Get a written "how to" from the owner on all systems operation techniques.

I wish you luck and happy safe boating.

flyboyjack

PS. If it sounds like I'm a little down on surveyors,... I AM!! This was my first rodeo in this arena and I got taken advantage of even tho I a have a modicum of mechanical skills/knowledge. Remember, they're working for you and they need to earn their money. Surveyors can and are good insurance policies, just don't let them bluff their way through the checks.
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Regarding the mechanical survey, engines are expensive. While 2000 hours isn't all
that much for one that has been taken care of, you definitely want to have it
checked out.

Boat surveys are like home inspections, lots of disclaimers and "have an expert look at this"
language. No one will have as much interest in your investment as you will so regardless of
who you hire, you may want to look over everything, note anything that you have questions
or concerns about and share the list with the people you hired.
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Petersburg, FL

Post by Farmer38 »

Thanks! Have spoken to a couple solid sounding surveyors, will spring for the mechanic. Now to get all my cost estimates (guesses) together to make a proper offer... I'll keep you posted. Such a wealth of knowledge and support! Thanks again!
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Don't be afraid to interview for the mechanical survey as well. A couple of important
items that you should be expecting are a blow by test, oil pressure (at the engine), RPM &
temperature at WOT for at least 15min, an oil analysis if there is enough time on the engine
since the last oil change. This is just a short list obviously...

Good luck

Return to “General Discussion”