• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vetus 55 propeller stuck on shaft

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

ALBIN
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SC

Vetus 55 propeller stuck on shaft

Post by ALBIN »

Replacing the zinc on a one year old vetus 55 and can't get the propeller free. Took off the lock nut and it turns free clockwise and counter clockwise just can't pull the propeller off the shaft.
Any thoughts ?

I guess I could improvise a propeller puller with a board and some light rope. Just wondering if anyone had run into this problem before.
Thanks
Tim
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Re: Vetus 55 propeller stuck on shaft

Post by mike66 »

Is it plastic? Mine has two phillips screws that need to be back eked out so the hub will expand and come off.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Had the same problem last spring. I tried to replace the zinc, made two attempts to get the prop off, it didn't budge. I left it for the mechanic...God knows if he replaced it.

Curious to know the outcome, keep us posted.
2004 28TE
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

http://www.vetus.com/media/magentominds ... 2805_0.pdf
Looks pretty staightforward. Washer jammed in there? Tap it from the back?
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The propellar snaps tightly over a stainless pin. This is how it engages to the shaft. Sometimes I've had to hit a piece of soft wood from behind to free the prop. Be gentle as the prop is plastic and will cost you $100 if it breaks.

When changing the zinc on my new to me 31 this spring there was no way that the prop would come free and I was forced to destroy it while striking it from behind. Turned out that there were some serious zebra mussel growth keeping it secured. I've never had that problem before changing bowthruster zincs.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote: When changing the zinc on my new to me 31 this spring there was no way that the prop would come free and I was forced to destroy it while striking it from behind. Turned out that there were some serious zebra mussel growth keeping it secured. I've never had that problem before changing bowthruster zincs.
There's the difference between "yard maintained" and a proactive hands-on owner.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
Pitou wrote: When changing the zinc on my new to me 31 this spring there was no way that the prop would come free and I was forced to destroy it while striking it from behind. Turned out that there were some serious zebra mussel growth keeping it secured. I've never had that problem before changing bowthruster zincs.
There's the difference between "yard maintained" and a proactive hands-on owner.
"Yard maintained" usually scares the heck out of me when I see that written in a for sale ad! I was prepaaring for the worst once I got it off, but was pleasantly surprised to still see about 30% of the anode intact and no metals corroded .. phew.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Yard maintained is a $125.00 per hour. Proactive owner is a couple of beers per hour.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
ALBIN
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SC

Post by ALBIN »

GAVE THE PROPELLER A QUICK PULL AND RELEASED IT OFF THE SHEAR PIN. PITOU IS CORRECT IT SNAPS FIRMLY ON THE SHEAR PIN TO HOLD IT IN PLACE. USED A LIGHT PAIR OF WORK GLOVES AS THE BLADES ARE SHARP. THE ZINC STILL LOOKS BRAND NEW.

LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN BOATING MAINTENANCE YOU FIX ONE THING AND THEN REALIZE ANOTHER PROBLEM. NOW I NEED TO FIND OUT WHY THE OTHER 4 ZINCS IN THE STERN ARE WEARING OUT SO FAST. (I RECENTLY INSTALLED A GALVANIC ISOLATOR TO HELP THIS)

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”