• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member searching for a boat

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
ScituateMariner
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Scituate, MA

New member searching for a boat

Post by ScituateMariner »

Hi all. I'm currently looking to transition from my Grady Gulfstream to a bigger boat more oriented to cruising and comfortable accommodations, but still a capable FV. After looking at many different options the Albin 31 TE seems to stand out. Trying to decide between single diesel with the standard kicker vs twins. Have twin outboards now and like the security of having two engines when offshore, but not the fuel burn and duplicated maintenance/repair. Twins also easy to maneuver, but I'm told the bow thruster makes the single just as easy to maneuver in tight quarters. Speed is obviously not a priority but a cruising speed 18-20k would be a plus. Any opinions on power in these boats, or any other advice would be welcome.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: New member searching for a boat

Post by Mark Deeser »

Allow me to be the first to offer a welcome, will allow those more familiar with this boat to address your questions. Thanks, Mark
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome: Well I have had a three twin inboards over the years. You can't beat twins for steering and of course the safety of back up if an engine fails or you get into crap pot ropes and need to come in on the other.
The downside and it can be significant is the costs to maintain is simple double. Whatever happens plan on two. Sure you have had that experience with your twin gulf streams.
I would if money is an issue consider a 31te with a singe Cummins/ & for comfort you could add a kicker to get back in an emergency. If costs of operation is no issue - for sure go for the twins which will usually be the Yanmar 315's. Great engines. A trolling value on one is fine for any waters you would be fishing.
whwells 'Howard"
2006 35te Sport-fisher/flybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Welcome aboard. I remember when Grady came out with the Gulfstream. That sure was a winner for them when that hull hit the market.

16.5 to 17 knots is a nice cruise for the 31 with a single engine. When up at these speeds you can estimate about 1 gallon per knot. Once I hit 18.5 / 19 kts at 80% engine load it jumps to 19 to 20 gph. The boat tops out at 21 knots. With the 4 foot draft and the center keel on the single she sure rides nicely and stays pretty darned dry.

My second engine is provided by SeaTow .. a lot less expensive than the second engine and all of the proper maintenance that goes with it. In 9 seasons on my 28 and 1000 hours later I only needed tow services once when the starter failed. Diesel engines are far more reliable than outboards. If you go single I'd skip the kicker as it's more trouble than it's worth all while getting in the way.

If you decide to go with twins you'll find the boat a bit more sporty (if I can call the 31TE sporty) without the center keel and speeds up to 26 knots. There is still room to work in the engine room, but things get tight on the outboard sides. With a single it's like the Queen Mary below deck .. lots of space.

With the single or twins these boats handle well around the docks. The single with it's left hand wheel creeps to starboard when in reverse, but when backing to port with a three second rule when in gear she generally backs and fills nicely with the bow thruster. Throw in a strong wind and some current and it can become a challenge. Whichever way she is powered with a little practice confidence builds.

Again, welcome aboard and all the best in your search.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “New Member Introductions”