• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vibration and visa le shaft wobble

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

raymond
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: waretown, new jersey

Vibration and visa le shaft wobble

Post by raymond »

Thanks to those who responded to my last post. Here are some replies along with requests additional help.
Russ - the stern tube or cutlass housing shows no corrosion or damage to pilot.
Jay - I agree the shaft could use an additional support. Just can't get past there could be so many others without this problem. Adding a bearing will be difficult since shaft comes out of log under the engine and through transmission with only about a foot of exposure to mount brg. There are no bulkheads to mount a flange type.
It would be very helpful to see a spec sheet from aquamet but having no luck getting tech. Help from them. The only dealer I could fine is located in mich. I talked to the owner who claims they never supplied shafts to Albin, aquamet has no spec sheet, and an eight foot shaft has zero sag from it's own weight - No help there!!
Rock glass test shows worst vibration on deck. Just behind engine box. You can actually see shaft wobble at speeds above 1000 rpm, 1500 engine speed.
Tree - crank pulley is probably okay, no vibration or noise unless shaft is turning - will check further if we pull engine to add brg.
Doug- Yes the prop has been checked both mechanically and by computerized system.
I would really like to hear from anyone having or not having a problem with this design - or an Albin historian who can tell me if there are a lot of boats with this design out there. Again we are talking about a 1998 Albin 28TE Cummins 1.5 reduction Z.F. V drive trans. Shaft is 1.5 dia. 8 foot long supported only at each end.
I would really appreciate any information you can give me.
Raymond
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Vibration and visa le shaft wobble

Post by jleonard »

I have a spec sheet someplace I think. When I'm back at home in a couple weeks I will look and post
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

:idea: Back in the day ... H&H prop Shop in Salem, MA provided the running gear to Albin including the Aquamet shafts. When in their shop at one point they referenced a pretty thick binder for Albin boats which had running gear configuration in it from engines / mounts / gears / shafts / struts / bearings and props. They have a pretty handy reference in their possession.

Owner Bob Pelletier contributed a little bit on AOG some time ago. His AOG member name was bobhhprop. You can try to email him through AOG or give him a call as I'm sure that he can help you out. He may not be readily available as he also puts sometime in on the shop floor. Let him know that AOG member Kevin Street referred you .. it will help not hurt :lol: When I was in his shop this past spring I could see that they were tuning a pair of 10 ft. wheels :shock:

Here is a link to his shops website http://www.hhprop.com/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Engine mounts?
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Raymond,

Can't really help any with your shaft wobble problem, but I see that you hail from Waretown, NJ. I was born & raised in NJ, & spent my first 15 years living on Lower Shore Rd in Barnegat, just down the road from Waretown. Parents divorced in the early 60s, and for a few years thereafter we had a house in Manahawkin before moving to my stepdad's home area of Upstate NY near Schenectady. My late birth father stayed in Barnegat until his passing in 2005 & his remains are buried in the Masonic cemetery on West Bay Ave in Barnegat. He worked for the Parkway for years and retired as supervisor at the Barneagat toll plaza. I have two half brothers, one who lives in Manahawkin, the other who now lives in Ft Pierce, FL and works at the Pursuit Boats factory there. I attended Southern Regional HS until we left the area during my sophomore year. I moved West in the late 70's and have been in the Phoenix area ever since. Good to see another "Piney" on the Albin site! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Hopscotch
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: None

Post by Hopscotch »