• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

TE35 and TE31 - Engine location

trawlerdeejay
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Riviera Beach, MD

TE35 and TE31 - Engine location

Post by trawlerdeejay »

Recently sold my Regal3780 flybridge and am downsizing. Have owned an Albin 28TE in the past. That boat had a Cummins 6BTA in a box on the cockpit. Lately, have been looking at Albin 35' and 31'hardtops on the internet.

Question- where is the engine in these models- in the cockpit or in the salon?

What's the noise level? (I'm VERY sensitive to noise). On my 28' Albin, had to raise our voice to converse with co-pilot. We finally wore foam earplugs. We ended up selling the boat--- just for that reason. Based on that experience, I cannot imagine a low noise level with an engine in an enclosed salon- right below your feet! (Seems like all the "downeast" style boats have the engine in the salon).

I don't ever want to go back to a boat where you cannot talk in normal tones, where an hour into a ride, you have a headache from the noise level.

Couple of months ago, was aboard a boat built by a local boat builder- a Mabry32. The engine was a 6 cyl. Volvo in a box right at the transom, connected to an I/O drive. Engine noise was so low with the salon door closed, we could actually whisper and be heard - as quiet as an automobile in the salon. Unfortunately, was not able to buy the boat.

Please give me all your input on this. All responses will be greatly appreciated.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: TE35 and TE31 - Engine location

Post by amber jj »

Our 31TE is under the salon and is quite noisey.I do wish it was quieter.We are running twin 370 Cummins.Maybe the Yanmars or single QSB's are quieter.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

The 35TE also has the engine(s) under the salon, as most conventional shafted boats do. Ours is a flybridge only boat (no lower helm) so I can't really comment on the running noise levels, I'm rarely below. I'll try and follow up with my wife since she and friends do occasionally ride below.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Nibbles is a 35te Sportfisher/Flybridge with twin Yanmar 315's. The boat has a lower station and is quiet. While I prefer to run it from the upper station there is absolutely no noise issue at the lower stations. We usually are below in rain or windy conditions.
Have had previously boats including my 290 Luhrs where noise was a serious issue. So do understand your concerns. Yanmar's are generally smooth and quite. That is clearly the case in our boat.
whwells "Howard"
trawlerdeejay
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Riviera Beach, MD

Post by trawlerdeejay »

Thanks for the responses. Anyone out there with a 31' or 35' hardtop - with a single Yanmar engine- who can offer his/her observations?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I'm running a Cummins QSC 8.3 electronic engine and it's not bad. Plenty of well thought out professionally installed sound insulation everywhere. Can also make cell phone calls comfortably. Don't get me wrong .. there is some noise, but not bad in my book.

I've been on some boats with engines under foot and they could have rattle my teeeth loose! I think it's all case by case with combination of engine and insulation. I do know that Albin had provided heavy lead weighted lead insulated carpets for the Salon floors on the 31. The previous owner of my boat threw it out saying that with the electronic engine (which is quieter than the mechanicals) along with the insulation package it was not necessary. I'm sure that it added some deadening though.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

My 31 has the carpeting, and you can talk at a normal level and be heard with no problems.
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

Same with my 31. I think they are well insulated below and I put a thick rubber pad under the new carpeting. Plenty quiet for me and I have a twin.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Mahalo has twin yanmars, been told by a friend with 32 pursuit, twin Cummins, quiet compared to Pursuit
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”