• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fresh water system 28te

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Fresh water system 28te

Post by Pete »

where is the domestic freshwater expansion tank ? my pump runs constantly when using water sounds like it's about to fill exp tank and shut off but never does I assume exp tank needs replacement can't find it.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Fresh water system 28te

Post by Tree »

Check your compression fittings on the pipework first - my guess is it will be those that have come off.

Switch the water on and start by looking in the middle hatch - if you see water leaking into the bilge follow it back to the cause.

Another area to look in to is the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank - if left for a while not under pressure the seals can tend to dry out and fail once under pressure - lots of threads on the forum about it including one I created. Search Calorifier.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Our 28 didn't have an expansion tank. Just a demand (pressure switch) pump. If you have one it's probably in the area of the pump.

Sounds like you either have a leak as Lee suggests, or the pressure switch has gone bad on the pump. If the pump is running constantly I'd guess it's the switch. A leak bad enough to keep the pump running is usually noticeable and even a broken expansion tank (diaphragm) will fill eventually! Replacement switch modules are available for some pump models.

I should mention that it can also be a feed problem. On our 35 we had a clogged filter on the supply side of the pump and it would starve the pump for water. So the pump would run and run.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Check the supply line to the pump. If it is drawing air it will never satisfy the pressure switch and will continue to run. On my 28, there is an elbow just off of the water tank that I disconnect to use for pumping antifreeze. That fitting wore out and was allowing air into the system which prevented the pressure switch from turning off the pump.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Pete wrote:where is the domestic freshwater expansion tank ? my pump runs constantly when using water sounds like it's about to fill exp tank and shut off but never does I assume exp tank needs replacement can't find it.
In the absence of a leak and if the pump only cycles / pulses when the fresh water faucet is turned on, that is normal as the pump is needed to make the water flow.

On the 28, they were not fitted with an "accumulator tank" or sometimes referred to as bladder tanks. Jabsco & Shurflo make smaller "accumulator" tanks and they can be fitted after your fresh water pump to help prevent cycling. I have the small Jabsco in my 31 and it does prevent some cycling, but if the water is running for a longer period as when washing dishes or showering the pump still cycles, but not continually. There are larger accumulator tanks made, but with the space constraints on smaller boats they are not practial.

Expansion tanks are for hot water heating systems not domestic water supplies.
Last edited by Pitou on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Thanks Kevin, my brain wasn't working when I posted my reply. I knew they were called accumulator tanks but could not for the life of me remember the term! I'm pretty sure the OP was in fact referring to an accumulator tank.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

On our recent trip we used too much water and didn't realize the tank was near empty so the pump ran continuously sucking air/water.

Return to “General Discussion”