• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Securing drive shaft to transmission

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Securing drive shaft to transmission

Post by Sunsetrider »

This past week when coming to a dock the boat failed to reverse, then failed to go forward, and I was left adrift. Unable to find any mechanics' assistance I was forced to investigate on my own, hoping the solution lay outside the tranny itself. After manfully struggling to remove the helm seat and heavy engine cover - and balancing it on the cockpit seat - I was able to see that the stainless drive shaft had come apart from the receiver at the rear of the engine. I found that I could slide the shaft toward the hole where it is supposed to enter the tranny. There are two opposing holes in the tranny housing and two opposing holes on the shaft, about 1/4 inch diameter. Obviously for some kind of cotter pin method to secure. So i fished around in the sludge under the engine and pulled out a pin about 2 inches long, perfectly cylindrical and smooth, same size as aforesaid holes! Woopee!

I was able to re-connect the drive shaft and carry on, proud of my intrepid problem-solving . . . but here's the thing: the smooth pin worked into the holes with the assistance of a hammer, but there doesn't seem to be any way to actually secure the pin in position. The pin does not go right through all holes and protrudes a half-inch from the housing. It seems like it wouldn't take much for it to dislodge again. Can anyone advise me as to how this pin is normally secured? Kicking myself for not having taken pictures to illustrate, and reluctant to remove the box just for that purpose.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Securing drive shaft to transmission

Post by jleonard »

From your description I might shorten the pin so it is recessed 1/16 on each side and stake the coupler to retain it.
I have never seen the arrangement you describe. Usually there is a clamping coupling or they are secured with a set screw that enters a detention in the shaft then the screw is locked with a nut and safety wired or both.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

A quick fix might be to take a stainless steel clamp whose size would encircle the coupling configuration. Drill a hole in the center of the clamp band to accommodate the pass thru of the pin. The hole would be placed at the 90 degree point of the clamp band in relation to the clamp’s screw mechanism. When the stainless steel clamp is installed over the coupling configuration, the extended portion of the pin would pass through the hole which was drilled and the head of the pin would be locked in place at a 180 degrees offset of the drilled hole, by the inside of the clamp band.

Regular inspection would be in order…

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

The arrangement is per the picture below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Part # 6 that you originally referred to as a "smooth pin" is what's called a taper pin. Bigger diameter on one end, it's held in place by a snug friction fit. But these require precise tolerances to perform as designed. Your tolerances are likely out of spec now. Along the lines of what Joe posted, if the pin tolerance is still within reason (not a loose sloppy fit), reinstall the pin and then use some form of a band (hose clamp) around the coupler to cover the pin hole(s) and prevent the pin from walking out again. If the end(s) of the pin don't stick out of the coupler once it's tapped back in place then you don't need to drill into the clamp...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

A tapered pin could be secured as Rob described.
If it were my boat I'd pull the shaft and have a keyway machined and buy a new coupler to fit that arrangement.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”