• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

down rigger installation

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

down rigger installation

Post by mjohnh »

i have searched this subject and only find incidental references to installing a down rigger.

I have a 28 Albin TE and 3 Walker electric down riggers which have a 3 foot cord and a round male connector about 3/4 inch diameter with 2 pins. I have done many web searches and most recommend 10, or even 8, gauge wires and that it should be fused or connected to the house battery through a breaker.

I have no unassigned breakers. Has anyone done anything similar? Please give me as much detail as you can on how to do this.
I do not see where the outlets might be cut into the boat and I do not want to "experiment" with this, obviously.

Thanks for your suggestions,

John Hefner mjohnh@aol.com
Chris & Dale

Re: down rigger installation

Post by Chris & Dale »

John,
Here's a link to the installation I did on ours, which are not electric. I would not think it that big a problem to feed this back towards the quarter birth and then across and up to the back panel at the dash. Once you start taking this boat apart for projects like this, so many things become apparent. Hope this helps a little.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5632

Good Luck!
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Re: down rigger installation

Post by Alan_Douville »

John, you can swing down and see mine if you want? I am in St Joseph MI. I run dual Cannon's on my TE 28, both electrics. Mine are hogs on power, Mag 10's. I had no available breakers as well, and with their amp draw I did not really want them in the main panel anyway. I took a drop right from the main battery and installed a separate and beefy fuse block below the floor. From that I ran cable up to twin duplex receptacles mounted port and starboard in the aft of the Albin. On my Downriggers, I had regular duplex plugs installed and then just plug them in and out of the receptacles for power. For fishing Lake Michigan it has paid off, as they never blow fuses and draw a ton of juice when moving rigs up and down 150'. Hope that helps.

Alan
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”