• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 won't start

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Medford, MA

Albin 28 won't start

Post by tshug »

It's been a great summer so far until today when we were planning on taking our Albin 28 out for another cruise. Went to start it up and when I pressed the start button nothing happened. It's powered with a Yanmar 6LPA-STP. I started having intermittent problems with the start button last month, but didn't think much about it since most times I'd push it once and it would start up. Other times I would have to push it a 2 or 3 times before the engine would start and then it would run without any problems. I checked the start switch connections and found one side loose, but tightening it up didn't help. When I turn the key I can hear an initial click and when I press the start button I hear another click, but that's it the engine doesn't crank at all. The batteries are charged and showing 13.8v on our battery monitor. Has anyone else run into this before? I'm thinking it could be the push button starter, but not being that experienced working on it I figured I'd check first and get some advice before spending money for repairs.
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Albin 28 won't start

Post by whwells »

Sounds like a solenoid for the starter. Could be ignition at the switch but you might want to check solenoid.
whwells "Howard"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Check your neutral switch. Try moving the shift lever while holding the button down. Every once in a while I have to wiggle mine, maybe twice a season. I tend to start mine after pulling the lever out so I can get it above idle quickly. Sometimes it wont start until I put it back, and then pull it out again. Its worth a shot!?!?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Thanks Howard and Carl. On a 28 flush deck where is the starter solenoid located? I did try moving the shift lever yesterday while trying to start it and will try it again.
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

On a FD would be starboard side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

On my flush deck, that would be the port side.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

oops, that's correct
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

We have a 28TE with a Cummins 330 HP. We have experienced intermittent start problems. Basically clicking rather than the starter engaging. This was fixed by cleaning all the terminals: starter, batteries. It is fixed now.

I jumped to blaming the solenoid, however, a mechanic cleaned the terminals and applied CorrosionX . So I recommend that you check all connections first!
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Same here, I had the random "click" too. I started at the battery and worked my way out. Found a loose connection at the cable on the back of the Guest switch.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Just got back from the dock and it turned out to be the connections to the solenoid just needed to cleaned. They didn't look bad or rusty, but I took them off and rubbed them with emery cloth. The engine started right up afterwards without having to push hard on the start button like I had been prior to it not starting at all.

Thanks for all the responses and the picture of where the solenoid was really helped me. I'm still learning and it's great to be able to post questions on this site to get advice. Thanks again!
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Thanks for the info. Haven't needed it yet but good to know. The engine picture just reminded me that I haven't
bi*¥}ed about the position of the oil filter in awhile. :lol:
Thanks again
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP

Return to “Albin Maintenance”