• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Air Conditioner HPF flashing on thermostat

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Air Conditioner HPF flashing on thermostat

Post by mjohnh »

I get a HPF indicator on the thermostat after a few minutes and no cooling. I took delivery of the 2005 model 5 days ago and have trouble finding some things. I read that the sea cock which should be open to provide sea water to cool the a/c could explain the HPF reading. Where is the sea cock....I also read that there is a circuit breaker or re-set button that may need to be pushed as that could explain the HPF reading. I need to make certain that the sea cock is open and that the "re-set" button is o.k.before I go on to other possible causes. Thanks for your help.
got2dive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: none

Re: Air Conditioner HPF flashing on thermostat

Post by got2dive »

Dont know what size albin u have but on my 31te i got the same error code checked the raw water pump for ac on starboard size forward. Of engine pump was bad changed pump problem fix seacock is next to pump
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Typically the ac raw water pump needs to have a prime and just opening the seacock for the system is usually not enough to allow water flow. The seacock may have been open when the boat was hauled – thus the prime was lost. Just another thought…

Also check out this thread:

viewforum.php?f=6

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I had that issue with my AC. The problem was an airlock in the water line feeding the AC unit. The solution was to close the thru-hull valve, disconnect the water hose, blow in it, quickly re-connect the hose, and open the valve.
The first time it happened, it took several tries and then, while the hose was disconnected I poured some water in the hose to fill it up before the blowing and that worked. The last two times the water pouring step was unnecessary.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I had that issue with my AC. The problem was an airlock in the water line feeding the AC unit. The solution was to close the thru-hull valve, disconnect the water hose, blow in it, quickly re-connect the hose, and open the valve.
The first time it happened, it took several tries and then, while the hose was disconnected I poured some water in the hose to fill it up before the blowing and that worked. The last two times the water pouring step was unnecessary.
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

I want to make certain that I understand......the disconnect was made on the a/c side of the pump, not the sea cock side of the pump..and you blew into that hose...and then you poured water into that hose....then quickly reconnected....then, opened the sea cock and turned on the a/c....did you ever disconnect the hose on the sea cock side of the pump for any reason?

thanks, again.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Whenever I've lost prime to the AC pump which has only been after a haulout, I closed the AC pump seacock, removed the hose on the outlet side of the AC pump and slowly opened the seacock until water flows out of the pump with full volume and no air then reconnect the hose while water is flowing. Prime is complete and the pump airlock is removed and good to go.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

after removing hoses and bleeding out air several times I installed a bleeder valve a few inches after the pump. simply open the valve, open the sea cock as soon as water squirts out close the bleeder valve and put on the air. Worked for me
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Pitou and Zinbaad: great suggestions...thank you.
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

I had a HPF code on mine. When I started the A/C I would get a strong stream at the discharge briefly because the pump comes on before the compressor comes on. When the compressor started it would shut down fairly quickly and display the HPF code. Removed the cover on the control box mounted to the hull near the unit and found the wire for HPF sensor. Traced it to the sensor and when I touched it, the wire fell out of the connector. I promptly dropped the 90 degree connector into the A/C pan which took me 30 minutes to find and retrieve :lol: of course, not 1/2" of extra wire. Reconnected and have never had the problem again.
I've also had the problem with priming the system. If I run the boat on plane with the A/C seacock open, I have to prime every time. I close the A/C valve before I leave the slip. Never lose prime in the slip, running or not.
I remove the hose from the outflow side of the pump and blow through to clear. Sometimes that was earlier said than done by the way
Good luck
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I disconnected the AC sea-water intake hose at the sea cock, not at the AC unit. A technician told me that blowing into the hose was usually enough to restore a lost prime. It helped by pouring some water into the hose after the blowing so that the hose was full of water. I held my thumb over the end of the hose before I reconnected it to the sea cock so that none of the water drained out before reconnecting.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

simply cut hose few inches past pump install a "T" with PVC valve , leave open, open seacock, since seacock & pump under water line natural pressure will push out air past pump (if not flip on pump switch for a second water will squirt out),, close valve, put on pump any other air will push through air conditioner with pump pressure.. Bingo,, no more removing and reinstalling hoses every time you loose prime. Then I think for winterizing you can hook up temporary hose hooked to gallon jug with winter antifreeze
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”